Masood Ahmad, M.D.
Professor, Division of Cardiology
Masood Ahmad, M.D., F.R.C.P.(C), F.A.C.P., F.A.C.C., F.A.H.A., F.A.S.E.
Director, Cardiac Echocardiography Laboratory
Edward D. & Sally M. Futch Professor of Cardiology
Cardiology Council Member
Division of Cardiology
Department of Internal Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-1060
- General clinical cardiology
- Noninvasive cardiac imaging
Victory Lakes Medical Specialty Center Clinic in League City.
- Noninvasive imaging in evaluation of left ventricular function
- Stress echocardiography
- 3-D Echocardiography
Dr. Masood Ahmad received his medical degree from Kashmir Medical College in Kashmir, India. He completed his residency in Internal Medicine at Euclid General Hospital in Cleveland Ohio and at Long Island Jewish/Queens Hospital Center in New York. Dr. Ahmad completed his fellowship in cardiology at Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, Texas. He is board certified in Internal Medicine and in cardiovascular disease. He is a Fellow of the Royal college of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Prior to coming to UTMB, Dr. Ahmad was a tenured Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Missouri Medical Center and served as Director of Noninvasive Laboratories and Chief of the Cardiology Section at the Harry S. Truman VA Hospital in Columbia Missouri.
Dr. Ahmad is the Edward D. and Sally M. Futch Endowed Professor in Cardiology. He is also the Director of the Echocardiography Laboratory.
Dr. Ahmad's research interests are in noninvasive Cardiovascular imaging and he has expertise in 3D echocardiography. Dr Ahmad is a board member of the Houston Chapter of the American Society of Echocardiography. At the national level, Dr Ahmad serves on the FASE committee of the American Society of Echocardiography. In addition, Dr Ahmad serves on the editorial board of Echocardiography, a journal of Cardiovascular ultrasound and Allied techniques.
|F.S.C. (Faculty of Science)||1961||Siri Pratap College, Srinagar|
|M.B.B.S.||1967||Kashmir Medical College|
Euclid General Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio
Long Island Jewish Medical Center Queens Hospital Center, New Hyde Park, New York
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
- Ahmad, M., Xie, T, McCulloch, M., Abreo, G.; Runge, M. Real time 3-D dobutamine stress echocardiography in assessment stress echocardiography in assessment of ischemia: comparison with two-dimensional dobutamine stress echocardiography. Journal of American College of Cardiology. 37(5):1303-9,2001
- Chamoun, A., Lenihan, DJ, McCulloch, M., Ahmad, M., Sheahan, RG. Resynchronization therapy in dilated cardiomyopathy: confirmation of hemodynamic improvement with real-time three-dimensional echocardiography. Circulation. 103(19):E98-8, 2001
- Chamoun, A., Xie, T., Trough, M., Esquivel-Avila, J., Carson, R., deFilippi, C., Ahmad, M., Color M mode flow propagation velocity versus conventional Doppler indices in the assessment of diastolic left ventricular function in patients on chronic hemodialysis. Echocardiography 19 (6) 467-476, 2002
- Xie, T, Chamoun, A, McCulluch, M, Tsiouris, N, Birnbaum, Y, Ahmad, M, Rapid Screening of Cardiac paitents with a miniaturized Hand held ultrasound Imager – Comparisons with Physical Examination and Conventional 2-D Echocardiography, Clinical Cardiology, 27, 241-245 2004
- Agoston I, Xie T, Tiller FL, Rahman AM, Ahmad M. Assessment of left atrial appendage by live three-dimensional echocardiography: early experience and comparison with transesophageal echocardiography. Echocardiography. 2006 Feb;23(2):127-32.
- Ahmad M, Jin Z, Xie T, Agoston I, Tiller F, Uretsky B. Live 3-d echocardiography in monitoring transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovale. Echocardiography. 2006 Jul;23(6):525-7.
- Salinas G, Daher IN, Okorodudu AO, Ahmad M. B-type natriuretic peptide is not a marker of ischemia during dobutamine stress echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiography. 2007 Jan;20(1):23-6.
- Ahmad, M, Dobutamine 3D stress echocardiography; A superior alternative or a valuable adjunct to 2D stress echocardiography. Editorial-JASE 2009 22, 5.
- Wei K, Main M, Lang R, Klein A, Angel S, Panetta C, Mikatti I, Lee V, Bernstein J, Ahmad M. The effect of Definity on Systemic and Pulmonary Hemodynamics in Patients. J Am Soc Echocardiography. 2012,25 (5) 584-588
- Ahmad M, Real Time Three-Dimensional Echocardiography Current Applications and Future Directions Echocardiography. 2012, (290 64-65.
The department of internal medicine is developing evidence based clinical protocols which will be available in EPIC (as order sets) for use when admitting patients with these diagnoses. Their AIM is to standardize care and decrease length of stay and readmission rates.Currently available protocols are:
- CAP - Community Acquired Pneumonia Orderset
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Adult, ICU
- General Medicine Admission
- Immunodeficiency Flow Panel
- MICU/CCU Admission Order Set
- Oral Analgesic Medicaitons
- Parenteral Opioids
- Sepsis, Adult ICU
All protocols can be found in the EPIC order set section.
The department of Internal Medicine has a large role in the Meaningful Use Initiative. Our participation is key for the success of the initiative. Please visit the meaningful use website for important communication and updates from the Meaningful Use Initiative.