Richard Goodgame, M.D.
Professor, Division of Gastroenterology and Hetapology
Richard Goodgame, M.D.
Internal Medicine Residency Program Director
Department of Internal Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-0570
Dr. Richard W. Goodgame is currently a Professor of Medicine in the Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine and the Department of Internal Medicine Residency Program Director. Dr. Goodgame earned his MD degree in 1975 from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine located in Baltimore, Maryland. He completed his internal medicine internship and residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital, and a senior residency at Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital. He completed his Gastroenterology/Hepatology Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas. Prior to UTMB, Dr. Goodgame served as Chief of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and Chief of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, Texas, and Program Director of the Gastroenterology/Hepatology Fellowship Program at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas. He has also lived in the Caribbean studying schistosomiasis, led a Department of Internal Medicine at one of the Africa's great medical schools, watched and wrote about the HIV epidemic in Africa, and promoted indigent care in Houston at the Ben Taub Hospital.
Dr. Goodgame is Board Certified by the National Board of Medical Examiners, USA, and Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology/Hepatology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. He is a Fellow of the American Gastroenterology Association and member of the American College of Gastroenterology, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, and the American College of Physicians.
Dr. Goodgame's research interest lies in Implementation Research.
Dr. Goodgame specializes in advanced endoscopic procedures.
Articles in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Goodgame RW, Greenough WB. Cholera in Africa: a message for the West. Ann Intern Med. 1975 Jan;82(1):101-6.
- Mitchell KJ, Bayless TM, Paige DM, Goodgame RW, Huang SS. Intolerance of eight ounces of milk in healthy lactose-intolerant teen-agers. Pediatrics. 1975 Nov;56(5):718-21.
- Goodgame R. Multiple sclerosis. Johns Hopkins Med J. 1976 May;138(5):229-31.
- Colley DG, Lewis FA, Goodgame RW.Immune responses during human schistosomiasis mansoni. IV. Induction of suppressor cell activity by schistosome antigen preparations and concanavalin A. J Immunol. 1978 Apr;120(4):1225-32.
- Goodgame RW, Bartholomew RK. Lack of association of hepatosplenic schistosomiasis and alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1978 Jul;27(4):779-81.
- Goodgame RW, Colley DG, Draper CC, Lewis FA, McLaren ML, Pelley RP. Humoral immune responses in human hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoni. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1978 Nov;27(6):1174-80.
- McLaren ML, Long EG, Goodgame RW, Lillywhite JE. Application of the enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for the serodiagnosis of Schistosoma mansoni infections in St. Lucia. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1979;73(6):636-9.
- Todd CW, Goodgame RW, Colley DG. Immune responses during human schistosomiasis mansoni. V. Suppression of schistosome antigen-specific lymphocyte blastogenesis by adherent/phagocytic cells. J Immunol. 1979 Apr;122(4):1440-6.
- Colley DG, Todd CW, Lewis FA, Goodgame RW.Immune responses during human schistosomiasis mansoni. VI. In vitro nonspecific suppression of phytohemagglutinin responsiveness induced by exposure to certain schistosomal preparations. J Immunol. 1979 Apr;122(4):1447-53.
- Todd CW, Goodgame RW, Colley DG. Immune responses during human schistosomiasis mansoni. VII. Further analysis of the interactions between patient sera and lymphocytes during in vitro blastogenesis to schistosome antigen preparations.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1980 Sep;29(5):875-81.
- Long EG, McLaren M, Goddard MJ, Bartholomew RK, Peters P, Goodgame R. Comparison of ELISA, radioimmunoassay and stool examination for Schistosoma mansoni infection. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1981;75(3):365-71.
- Sewankambo N, Mugerwa RD, Goodgame R, Carswell JW, Moody A, Lloyd G, Lucas SB. Enteropathic AIDS in Uganda. An endoscopic, histological and microbiological study. AIDS. 1987 May;1(1):9-13.
- Nambuya A, Sewankambo N, Mugerwa J, Goodgame R, Lucas S. Tuberculous lymphadenitis associated with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in Uganda. J Clin Pathol. 1988 Jan;41(1):93-6.
- Lucas SB, Papadaki L, Conlon C, Sewankambo N, Goodgame R, Serwadda D. Diagnosis of intestinal microsporidiosis in patients with AIDS. J Clin Pathol. 1989 Aug;42(8):885-7.
- Okello DO, Sewankambo N, Goodgame R, Aisu TO, Kwezi M, Morrissey A, Ellner JJ. Absence of bacteremia with Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare in Ugandan patients with AIDS. J Infect Dis. 1990 Jul;162(1):208-10.
- Goodgame RW. AIDS in Uganda--clinical and social features. N Engl J Med. 1990 Aug 9;323(6):383-9.
- Maliha GM, Hepps KS, Maia DM, Gentry KR, Fraire AE, Goodgame RW. Whipple's disease can mimic chronic AIDS enteropathy. Am J Gastroenterol. 1991 Jan;86(1):79-81.
- Nath GD, Goodgame R, Saeed ZA, Graham DY. Pneumoperitoneum: a preventable complication of PEG in mechanically ventilated patients. Gastrointest Endosc. 1991 Jan-Feb;37(1):84-5.
- Hepps K, Sutton FM, Goodgame RW. Multiple left-sided colon ulcers due to typhoid fever. Gastrointest Endosc. 1991 Jul-Aug;37(4):479-80.
- Goodgame RW, Ross PG, Kim HS, Hook AG, Sutton FM. Esophageal stricture after cytomegalovirus ulcer treated with ganciclovir. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1991 Dec;13(6):678-81.
- Hepps KS, Maliha GM, Estrada R, Goodgame RW. Severe cholestatic jaundice associated with piroxicam. Gastroenterology. 1991 Dec;101(6):1737-40.
- Armitage K, Flanigan T, Carey J, Frank I, MacGregor RR, Ross P, Goodgame R, Turner J. Treatment of cryptosporidiosis with paromomycin. A report of five cases. Arch Intern Med. 1992 Dec;152(12):2497-9.
- Goodgame RW, Genta RM, Estrada R, Demmler G, Buffone G. Frequency of positive tests for cytomegalovirus in AIDS patients: endoscopic lesions compared with normal mucosa. Am J Gastroenterol. 1993 Mar;88(3):338-43.
- Goodgame RW, Genta RM, White AC, Chappell CL. Intensity of infection in AIDS-associated cryptosporidiosis. J Infect Dis. 1993 Mar;167(3):704-9.
- Goodgame R, Kiefe C, Rose E, Sutton F, Brown J, Alpert E. Clinical evaluation of M43: a novel cancer-associated mucin epitope. Cancer Res. 1993 Jun 15;53(12):2803-9.
- Goodgame RW. Gastrointestinal cytomegalovirus disease. Ann Intern Med. 1993 Nov 1;119(9):924-35.
- Genta RM, Chappell CL, White AC Jr, Kimball KT, Goodgame RW. Duodenal morphology and intensity of infection in AIDS-related intestinal cryptosporidiosis. Gastroenterology. 1993 Dec;105(6):1769-75.
- Anand BS, Goodgame R, Graham DY. Pancreatic secretion in man: effect of fasting, drugs, pancreatic enzymes, and somatostatin. Am J Gastroenterol. 1994 Feb;89(2):267-70.
- White AC Jr, Chappell CL, Hayat CS, Kimball KT, Flanigan TP, Goodgame RW. Paromomycin for cryptosporidiosis in AIDS: a prospective, double-blind trial. J Infect Dis. 1994 Aug;170(2):419-24.
- Goodgame RW, Kimball K, Ou CN, White AC Jr, Genta RM, Lifschitz CH, Chappell CL. Intestinal function and injury in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome-related cryptosporidiosis. Gastroenterology. 1995 Apr;108(4):1075-82.
- Simon DM, Cello JP, Valenzuela J, Levy R, Dickerson G, Goodgame R, Brown M, Lyche K, Fessel WJ, Grendell J, et al. Multicenter trial of octreotide in patients with refractory acquired immunodeficiency syndrome-associated diarrhea. Gastroenterology. 1995 Jun;108(6):1753-60. Erratum in: Gastroenterology 1995 Sep;109(3):1024.
- Goodgame RW. Understanding intestinal spore-forming protozoa: cryptosporidia, microsporidia, isospora, and cyclospora. Ann Intern Med. 1996 Feb 15;124(4):429-41.
- Rabassa AA, Goodgame R, Sutton FM, Ou CN, Rognerud C, Graham DY. Effects of aspirin and Helicobacter pylori on the gastroduodenal mucosal permeability to sucrose. Gut. 1996 Aug;39(2):159-63.
- Goodgame RW, Malaty HM, el-Zimaity HM, Graham DY. Decrease in gastric permeability to sucrose following cure of Helicobacter pylori infection. Helicobacter. 1997 Mar;2(1):44-7.
- Graham DY, Malaty HM, Goodgame R. Primary amino-bisphosphonates: a new class of gastrotoxic drugs--comparison of alendronate and aspirin. Am J Gastroenterol. 1997 Aug;92(8):1322-5.
- Goodgame RW. How to treat the cytomegalovirus troll. Am J Gastroenterol. 1998 Mar;93(3):293-5.
- Akram S, Mourani S, Ou CN, Rognerud C, Sadiq R, Goodgame RW. Assessment of intestinal permeability with a two-hour urine collection. Dig Dis Sci. 1998 Sep;43(9):1946-50.
- Goodgame R, Stager C, Marcantel B, Alcocer E, Segura AM. Intensity of infection in AIDS-related intestinal microsporidiosis. J Infect Dis. 1999 Sep;180(3):929-32.
- Goodgame RW, Kimball K, Akram S, Ike E, Ou CN, Sutton F, Graham D. Randomized controlled trial of clarithromycin and ethambutol in the treatment of Crohn's disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2001 Dec;15(12):1861-6.
- Tran T, Hung P, Laucirica R, Hilal RE, Goodgame RW. The clinical significance of thickened gastric folds found on upper gastrointestinal series. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002 Aug;35(2):138-43.
- Kulkarni K, Tran T, Medrano M, Yoffe B, Goodgame R. The role of the discriminant factor in the assessment and treatment of alcoholic hepatitis. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2004 May-Jun;38(5):453-9.
- Kulkarni K, Barcak E, El-Serag H, Goodgame R. The impact of immigration on the increasing incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Aug 15;20(4):445-50.
- Goodgame R. A Bayesian approach to acute infectious diarrhea in adults. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2006 Jun;35(2):249-73.
- Sutton FM, Graham DY, Goodgame RW. Infectious esophagitis. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 1994 Oct;4(4):713-29.
- Goodgame RW. Viral infections of the gastrointestinal tract. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 1999 Aug;1(4):292-300.
- Goodgame RW. Viral causes of diarrhea. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2001 Sep;30(3):779-95.
- Goodgame R. Emerging Causes of Traveler's Diarrhea: Cryptosporidium, Cyclospora, Isospora, and Microsporidia. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2003 Feb;5(1):66-73.
- Goodgame R. Norovirus gastroenteritis. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2006;8: 401--8.
- Katabira E, Goodgame RW, eds. AIDS CARE. Diagnostic and treatment strategies for health workers. Entebbe: AIDS Control Program, Ministry of Health, Republic of Uganda, 1989.
- Lucas S, Sewankambo N, Manbuya JA, Nsubga P, Goodgame RW, Mugerwa J, Carswell JW. The morbid anatomy of African AIDS. In: Giraldo G, Beth-Giraldo E, Clumeck N, Gharbi Md-R, Kyalwasi, SK, de The G, eds. AIDS and associated cancers in Africa. Basel: Karger, 1989;124-133.
- Goodgame RW, Genta RM, Go MG, Graham DY. Infectious Gastritis. In: Gastrointestinal and Hepatic Infections (Surawicz C, Owen R, eds). W.B. Saunders Co. Philadelphia, 1994.
- Goodgame RW and Rabeneck L. Gastrointestinal Disease in Patients with AIDS. In: Current Practice of Medicine (Bone RC, ed). Current Medicine. Philadelphia, 1996, volume 4, pp. 26.1 - 26.7
- Goodgame RW. Gastrointestinal Disease in Patients with Aids. In: Current Practice of Medicine. Current Medicine. Philadelphia, 1998, volume 1, no. 4, pp. 903-909.
- Goodgame RW. Gastrointestinal Disease in Patients with Aids. In: Current Practice of Medicine. Current Medicine. Philadelphia, 1999, volume 2, no. 12, pp. 2453-2459.
- Digestive Diseases Self-Education Program, Chapter 8, Gastrointestinal Infections, American Gastroenterological Association, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, Dubuque, 2001.
- Goodgame RW, Graham DY, eds. Common Gastrointestinal and Hepatic Infections. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2006 Jun;35(2).
The department of internal medicine is developing evidence based clinical protocols which will be available in EPIC (as order sets) for use when admitting patients with these diagnoses. Their AIM is to standardize care and decrease length of stay and readmission rates.Currently available protocols are:
- CAP - Community Acquired Pneumonia Orderset
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Adult, ICU
- General Medicine Admission
- Immunodeficiency Flow Panel
- MICU/CCU Admission Order Set
- Oral Analgesic Medicaitons
- Parenteral Opioids
- Sepsis, Adult ICU
- 111 - Stroke Alert
- 112 - Stroke Activation
- 300086 - Stroke Floor Admission
- 3000000001 - Stroke Critical care without tPA
- 300088 Stroke - Transfer from Critical care to floor
- 3004002 - Stroke Discharge
All protocols can be found in the EPIC order set section.
The department of Internal Medicine has a large role in the Meaningful Use Initiative. Our participation is key for the success of the initiative. Please visit the meaningful use website for important communication and updates from the Meaningful Use Initiative.