Jieyun Yin, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Division of Gastroenterology and Hetapology
Jieyun Yin, M.D.
Department of Internal Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-0655
Dr. Yin is currently an Assistant Professor in the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology in the Department of Internal Medicine at The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) in Galveston. Dr. Yin earned her MD degree in 1994 from the Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine located in Shanghai, China. She then did Residence training at Xiamen Zhongshan Hospital, Fujian, China; and then did Postdoctoral Fellow training at UTMB, Galveston. She has served as co-investigator in several NIH grants for research in functional gastrointestinal disorders. Her research works have been selected as Young Investigate Award for several times at both American and International Meetings from 2001 to 2006. She authored and co-authored over 30 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters.
Dr. Yin's research focuses on investigating the therapeutic treatment of gastrointestinal electrical stimulation on gastrointestinal motility disorders, diabetes and eating disorders in both humans and animals. In addition, research activities also focus on understanding the mechanisms of effects of electrical stimulation on gastrointestinal physiology.
- Ouyang H, Yin J, Wang ZS, Pasricha PJ, Chen JD. Electroacupuncture accelerates gastric emptying in association with changes in vagal activity. Am J Phsiol (Gastrointest Liver Physiol) 282 (2): G390-G396, 2002.
- Ouyang H, Yin J and Chen JD. Therapeutic Potential of Gastric Electrical Stimulation for Obesity and Its Possible Mechanisms: A Preliminary Canine Study. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2003 Apr; 48(4):698-705.
- Ouyang H, Yin J, Zhu HB, Xu XH and Chen JD. Postponed Effects of Gastric Electrical Field Stimulation with Long Pulses on Gastric Emptying in Dogs. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2003;15(4):409-416.
- Chen JDZ, Qian LW, Ouyang H and Yin JY. Gastric electrical stimulation with short pulses improves vomiting but not gastric dysrhythmia in dogs. Gastroenterology 2003;124(2):401-409.
- Yin J, Levanon D, Chen JDZ. Inhibitory Effects of Stress on Postprandial Gastric Myoelectrical Activity and Vagal Tone in Healthy Subjects. Neurogastroenterol & Motil 16: 737-744, 2004.
- Yin J, Chen JDZ. Retrograde Gastric Electrical Stimulation Reduces Food Intake and Weight in Obese Rats. Obesity Research 13: 1580-1587, 2005.
- Hou XH, Yin J, Liu JS, Pasricha, PJ, Chen JDZ: In vivo gastric and intestinal slow waves in W/Wv mice. Digestive Disease and Sciences. 2005, 50(7): 1335-1341.
- Ouyang H, Yin J, Chen JDZ: Gastric or intestinal electrical stimulation-induced increase in gastric volume is correlated with reduced food intake. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, 2006; 41: 1261-1266.
- Yin J, Hou XH, Chen JDZ: Role of interstitial cells of Cajal in intestinal transit and exogenous electrical pacing. Digestive Disease and Sciences 2006; 51: 1818-1823.
- Yin J, Ouyang H, Chen JDZ: Therapeutic potential of intestinal electrical stimulation for obesity: A preliminary canine study. Obesity. 2007; 15: 1133-1138.
- Yin J, Chen JDZ: Inhibitory effects of gastric electrical stimulation on ghrelin-induced excitatory effects on gastric motility and food intake in dogs. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology 2006, 41:903-909.
- Yin J, Zhang J, Chen JDZ: Inhibitory effects of intestinal electrical stimulation on food intake, weight loss and gastric emptying in rats. American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 2007 Jul; 293(1):R78-82.
- Yin J, Chen JDZ: Excitatory Effects of Synchronized Intestinal Electrical Stimulation on Small Intestinal Motility in Dogs. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007 293 (6): G1190-G1195
- Chen DD, Xu X, Zhao Q, Yin J, Sallam H, Chen JD. Effects of audio stimulation on gastric myoelectrical activity and sympathovagal balance in healthy adolescents and adults. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 23 (1):141-9.
- Yin J, Chen JD. Implantable gastric electrical stimulation: ready for prime time? Gastroenterology. 2008 Mar; 134(3):665-7.
- Yin J, Chen JD. Roles of interstitial cells of Cajal in regulating gastrointestinal motility: in-vitro vs. in-vivo studies. J Cell Mol Med. 2008;12:1118-29
- Chen DD, Xu X, Zhao Q, Yin J, Sallam H, Chen JD. Effects of audio stimulation on gastric myoelectrical activity and sympathovagal balance in healthy adolescents and adults. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 23:141-9.
- Chen J, Song GQ, Yin J, Koothan T, Chen JD.Electroacupuncture improves impaired gastric motility and slow waves induced by rectal distension in dogs.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2008 Sep;295(3):G614-20.
- Yin J, Ouyang H, Wang ZS, Chen JD. Cutaneous gastric electrical stimulation alters gastric motility in Dogs: A new option for gastric electrical stimulation? J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;24:149-54.
- Zhao* X, Yin J*, Chen J, Song G, Wang L, Zhu H, Brining D, Chen JD. Inhibitory effects and mechanisms of intestinal electrical stimulation on gastric tone, antral contractions, pyloric tone, and gastric emptying in dogs. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009; 296:R36-42. (*: two authors contributed equally)
- Yin J, Chen JDZ: Intestinal electrical stimulation and the promotion of fat excretion: a potential treatment for obesity? Clin. Lipido. 4 (6):691-693, 2009.
- Yin J, Chen JD: Mechanisms and Potential Applications of Intestinal Electrical Stimulation. Dig Dis Sci. 2009 July 23. [Epub ahead of print] 55(5):1208-20, 2010 May.
- Sun Y, Song GQ, Yin J, Lei Y, Chen JD. Effects and Mechanisms of Gastrointestinal Electrical Stimulation on Slow Waves: a Systematic Canine Study. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009 Aug 26. [Epub ahead of print] 297(5):R1392-9, 2009 Nov.
- Yin J, Chen J, Chen JD. Ameliorating Effects and Mechanisms of Electroacupuncture on Gastric Dysrhythmia, Delayed Emptying and Impaired Accommodation in Diabetic Rats. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010 Jan 21. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 20093561, 298(4):G563-70, 2010 Apr.
- Yin J, Chen JD. Gastrointestinal motility disorders and acupuncture. Auton Neurosci. 2010 Oct 28;157(1-2):31-7. Epub 2010 Apr 3. PubMed PMID: 20363196; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2906692.
- Yin J, Wang W, Winston JH, Zhang R, Chen JD. Ameliorating effects of mirtazapine on visceral hypersensitivity in rats with neonatal colon sensitivity Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2010 Sep;22(9):1022-8, e267. Epub 2010 May 26. PubMed PMID: 20507543.
- Chen J, Pasricha PJ, Yin J, Lin L, Chen JD. Hepatic electrical stimulation reduces blood glucose in diabetic rats. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2010 Oct;22(10):1109-e286. Epub 2010 Jul 5. PubMed PMID: 20618834.
- Sun Y, Song G, Yin J, Chen J, Chen JH, Song J, Chen JD. Effects and mechanisms of electroacupuncture on glucagon-induced small intestinal hypomotility in dogs. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2010 Nov;22(11):1217-23, e318. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2982.2010.01565.x. Epub 2010 Aug 19. PubMed PMID: 20723072
- Chen JH, Song GQ, Yin J, Sun Y, Chen JD. Gastric electrical stimulation reduces visceral sensitivity to gastric distention in healthy canines. Auton Neurosci. 2011 Feb 24;160(1-2):16-20. Epub 2010 Dec 3. PubMed PMID: 21126929;PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3034808.
The UTMB Center for Global Health Education (CGHE) is dedicated to the training of tomorrow's global health work force to improve health for the people of Texas and around the world. Check out their website for more information on the global health programs and education going on in our department.
The department of internal medicine is developing evidence based clinical protocols which will be available in EPIC (as order sets) for use when admitting patients with these diagnoses. Their AIM is to standardize care and decrease length of stay and readmission rates.Currently available protocols are:
- CAP - Community Acquired Pneumonia Orderset
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Adult, ICU
- General Medicine Admission
- Immunodeficiency Flow Panel
- MICU/CCU Admission Order Set
- Oral Analgesic Medicaitons
- Parenteral Opioids
- Sepsis, Adult ICU
All protocols can be found in the EPIC order set section.
The department of Internal Medicine has a large role in the Meaningful Use Initiative. Our participation is key for the success of the initiative. Please visit the meaningful use website for important communication and updates from the Meaningful Use Initiative.