Vinod Kaushik, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine
Vinod Kaushik, M.D.
Department of Internal Medicine-Geriatrics
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston Texas, 77555-0460
|Degree/Training Completed||Year||Name & Location|
|Fellowship–Internal Medicine||2004||University of Texas Medical Branch,
|Residency–Internal Medicine||2003||University of Texas Medical Branch,
|B.S.||1987||Vikram University Ujjain, India|
|M.B.B.S.||1983||Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College Devi Ahilya University, Indore, India|
Fellow, The Sealy Center of Aging, 2007
Division of Geriatrics/ Sealy Center of Aging
Department of Internal Medicine
The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston
Best Intern – Civil Hospital, Ujjain, India 1984
Arts and Exhibition Secretary – MGM Medical College, Indore, India, 1981-82
Publications: ARTICLES IN PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS:
- Kaushik, V. Factors associated with seven-year incidence of diabetes complications among older Mexican Americans. Gerontology 2007; 53(4):194-9. Epub 2007 Mar.
- Al Snih S, Kaushik V, Eschbach K, Markides K. Ethnic differences in physical performance in older Americans: data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1988-1994). Aging Clin Exp Res. 2008 Apr;20(2):139-44.
The department of internal medicine is developing evidence based clinical protocols which will be available in EPIC (as order sets) for use when admitting patients with these diagnoses. Their AIM is to standardize care and decrease length of stay and readmission rates.Currently available protocols are:
- CAP - Community Acquired Pneumonia Order set
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Adult, ICU
- General Medicine Admission
- Immunodeficiency Flow Panel
- MICU/CCU Admission Order Set
- Oral Analgesic Medications
- Parenteral Opioids
- Sepsis, Adult ICU
- 111 - Stroke Alert
- 112 - Stroke Activation
- 300086 - Stroke Floor Admission
- 3000000001 - Stroke Critical care without tPA
- 300088 Stroke - Transfer from Critical care to floor
- 3004002 - Stroke Discharge
All protocols can be found in the EPIC order set section.
The department of Internal Medicine has a large role in the Meaningful Use Initiative. Our participation is key for the success of the initiative. Please visit the meaningful use website for important communication and updates from the Meaningful Use Initiative.