Mukaila Raji, M.D., M.S., F.A.C.P.
Professor & Director, Division of Geriatric Medicine
Mukaila Raji, M.D., M.S., F.A.C.P.
Professor & Director, Division of Geriatric Medicine
Edgar Gnitzinger Distinguished Professorship in Aging
Program Director, Geriatric Medicine Fellowship
Department of Internal Medicine
Mukaila A. Raji attended the medical school at the University of Ife in Nigeria. He also completed his internal medicine residency at Washington Hospital Center in Washington, DC, USA, a Geriatric Fellowship at Duke University in Durham, NC, USA, and Master of Science Degree in pharmacology at the University of Alberta in Canada. Dr. Raji is board certified in Internal Medicine and Geriatrics. He is a tenured Professor and Chief of Geriatric Medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. He has published over 50 peer-reviewed articles, 55 research abstracts, and several book chapters in the areas of geriatric pharmacology, cognitive aging, and disability. Dr. Raji is a recipient of the 2002-2006 Geriatric Academic Career Award from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the 2006 Sir William Osler Excellence in Clinical Teaching Award. He is Program Director of UTMB Geriatric Medicine Fellowship. Dr. Raji teaches medical students, residents, and geriatrics fellows and serves as attending faculty on the Acute Care for the Elders Unit, Geriatric Consults, and Geriatric Clinic Service.
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston Texas, 77555-0177
|Degree/Training Completed||Year||Name & Location|
|B.S. (Health Sciences)||1984||First Class Honors, Univ. of Ife, Nigeria|
|M.S. (Pharmacology)||1994||University of Alberta, Canada|
|M.D.||1987||University of Ife, Nigeria|
|Residency – Internal Medicine||1997||Washington Hospital Center, DC|
|Geriatric Medicine Fellowship||1999||Duke University, North Carolina|
American Board of Geriatric Medicine
American Board of Internal Medicine
Publications: ARTICLES IN PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS:
- Ajayi, A.A., and Raji, MA. Acute cardiovascular effects of the concurrent administration of Enalapril, Prazosin or Amlodipine. International Journal of Cardiology. 44:79-84, 1994.
- Raji, MA; Liu, D.; Wallace, D. Sexual aggressiveness in a patient with Dementia: Sustained clinical response to Citalopram. Annals of Long-Term Care. 8(1):81-83, 2000.
- Raji, MA; Brady, S. Mirtazapine for the treatment of depression and co-morbidities in Alzheimer's disease. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 35:1024-7, 2001.
- Raji, MA, Ostir GV, Markides KS, Goodwin JS. The interaction of cognitive and emotional status on subsequent physical functioning in older Mexican Americans: Findings from the Hispanic-EPESE. J Gerontol Med Sci. 57A:M1-M5, 2002.
- Ostir GV, Raji MA, Ottenbacher KJ, Markides KS, Goodwin JS. Cognitive function and incidence of stroke in older Mexican Americans. J Gerontol Med Sci. 58:531-535, 2003.
- Raji, MA, Ostir GV, Markides KS, Espino DV, Goodwin JS. Potentially inappropriate medication use by elderly Mexican Americans. Ann Pharmacother. 37:1197-1202, 2003.
- Kuo YF, Raji MA, Markides KS, Ray LA, Espino DV, Goodwin JS. Inconsistent use of diabetes medications, diabetic complications, and mortality in older Mexican Americans over a 7 year-period: Data from the Hispanic-EPESE. Diabetes Care. 26:3054-3060, 2003.
- Raji MA, Goodwin JS. Perception of causes and treatments of common diseases in black, non-Hispanic white, and Hispanic Americans aged 75 years and older. Physicians & Patients. Volume 1; 4:20-22, 2003.
- Raji MA, Al Snih S, Ray LA, Patel KV, Markides KS. Cognitive status and incident disability in older Mexican Americans. Ethnicity & Disease. 14:26-31, 2004.
- Raji MA, Kuo YF, Salazar J, Satish S, Goodwin JS. Ethnic differences in antihypertensive medication use in the elderly. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 38:209-14, 2004.
- Kuo YF, Raji MA, Peek MK, Goodwin JS. Health-related social disengagement in elderly diabetic patients: Association with subsequent disability and survival. Diabetes Care. 27:1630-7, 2004.
- Newell DA, Raji MA, Lieberman S, Beach RE. Integrating geriatric content into a medical school curriculum: Description of a successful model. The Journal of Gerontology & Geriatrics Education. 25(2): 15-32, 2004.
- Al Snih S, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ, Raji MA. Handgrip strength and incident ADL disability in elderly Mexican Americans over seven years. Aging Clinical & Experimental Research. 16: 481-486, 2004.
- Reyes-Ortiz CA, Kuo YF, DiNuzzo AR, Ray LA, Raji MA, Markides KS. Near vision impairment predicts incident cognitive impairment in older Mexican Americans. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 53:681-6, 2005.
- Raji MA, Kuo YF, Al Snih S, Sharaf BM, Loera JA. Ethnic differences in herbs and vitamins/minerals use in the elderly. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 39(6):1019-23, 2005.
- Raji MA. Management of chemotherapy-induced side-effects. Lancet Oncol. 6(6):357, 2005.
- Raji MA, Tang RA, Heyn PC, Kuo YF, Owen SV, Singh S, Ottenbacher KJ. Screening for cognitive impairment in older adults attending an eye clinic. Journal of the National Medical Association. 97:808-814, 2005.
- Al Snih S, Raji MA, Peek MK, Ottenbacher KJ. Pain, lower extremity muscle strength and physical function in older Mexican Americans. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 86:1394-400, 2005.
- Raji MA, Kuo YF, Al Snih S, Markides KS, Peek MK, Ottenbacher KJ. Cognitive status, muscle strength and subsequent disability in older Mexican Americans. J Am Geriatr Soc. 53:1462-8, 2005.
- Al Snih S, Fisher M, Raji MA, Markides KS, Ostir GV, Goodwin JS. Diabetes mellitus and incidence of lower body disability among older Mexican Americans. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 60:1152-6, 2005.
- Al Snih S, Raji MA, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ, Goodwin JS. Weight change and lower body disability among older Mexican Americans. J Am Geriatr Soc. 53:1730-7, 2005.
- Rotkiewicz-Piorun, AM, Al Snih S, Kuo YF, Raji MA, Markides KS, Goodwin JS. Cognitive decline in older Mexican Americans with diabetes. J Natl Med Assoc, 98(11):1840-7, 2006.
- Alfaro-Acha A, Al Snih S, Raji MA, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ. Handgrip strength and cognitive decline in older Mexican Americans. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 61(8):859-865, 2006.
- Stimpson JP, Ju H, Raji MA, Eschbach K. Neighborhood deprivation and health risk behaviors in NHANES III. Am J Health Behav. 31(2):215-222, 2007.
- Alfaro-Acha A, Al Snih S, Raji MA, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ. Does 8-foot walk time predict cognitive decline in older Mexicans Americans? J Am Geriatr Soc. 55:245-251, 2007.
- Stimpson JP, Kuo YF, Ray LA, Raji MA, Peek MK. Risk of mortality related to widowhood in older Mexican Americans. Ann Epidemiol. 17(4):313-319, 2007.
- Kaushik V, Al Snih S, Ray LA, Raji MA, Markides KS. Factors associated with seven-year incidence of diabetic complications among older Mexican Americans. Gerontology. 53:194-199, 2007.
- Ojo FM, Al Snih S, Ray LA, Raji MA, Markides KS. History of fractures as predictor of subsequent hip and nonhip fractures among older Mexican Americans. J Natl Med Assoc. 99(4):412-418, 2007.
- Raji MA, Barnum PD, Freeman J, Markowitz A. Mirtazapine for depression and comorbidities in older patients with cancer. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 41(9):1548-9. 2007
- Raji MA, Reyes-Ortiz CA, Kuo YF, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ. Depressive symptoms and cognitive change in older Mexican Americans. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology. 20(3):145-52, 2007.
- Reyes-Ortiz, C.A., Berges, I.M., Raji, MA, Koenig, H.G., Kuo, Y-F, Markides, K.S. Church attendance mediates the association between depressive symptoms and cognitive functioning among older Mexican Americans. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 63(5):480-6. 2008.
- Raji MA, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Effect of a dementia diagnosis on survival of older patients after a diagnosis of breast, colon or prostate cancer: implications for cancer care. Archives of Internal Medicine. Archives of Internal Medicine;168(18):2033-40. 2008
- Samper-Ternent, R, Al Snih, S, Raji MA, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ. Relationship Between Frailty and Cognitive Decline in Older Mexican Americans. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 56(10):1845-52. 2008
- Raji MA, Tamborello LP, Kuo YF, Ju H, Freeman JL, Zhang DD, Giordano SH, Goodwin JS. Risk of subsequent dementia diagnoses does not vary by types of adjuvant chemotherapy in older women with breast cancer. Medical Oncology. 26:452-59. 2009
- Ottenbacher KJ, Graham JE, Al Snih S, Raji MA, Samper-Ternent R, Ostir GV, Markides KS et al. Mexican Americans and Frailty: Findings from the Hispanic Established Populations Epidemiologic Studies of the Elderly. Am J Public Health. 99:673-9. 2009
- Weaver GD, Kuo YF, Raji MA, Al Snih S, Ray LA, Torres E, Ottenbacher KJ. Pain and Disability in Mexican American Older Adults. Journal of American Geriatrics Society. 57(6):992-9. 2009
- Masel MC, Raji MA, Peek MK. Education and Physical Activity Mediate the Relationship between Race/Ethnicity and Cognitive Function in Late Middle Age. Results from the Health and Retirement Study. Ethnicity & Health. 15(3):283-302. 2010
- Beard HA, Markides KS, Alghatrif M, Kuo YF, Raji MA. Trends in diabetes medications use and geriatric syndromes in older Mexican Americans with diabetes from 1993/94 to 2004/05. Ann Pharmacother. 44(9):1376-83. 2010
- Raji MA, Al Snih, Ostir GV, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ. Cognitive status is associated with future risk of frailty in older Mexican Americans. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 65:1228-34. 2010
- Caban M, Kuo YF, Raji MA, Tan A, Freeman J. Predictors of Mammography Use in Older Women with Disability: The Patients' Perspectives. Med Oncol. 2010 Sep 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Al Ghatrif M, Kuo YF, Al Snih S, Raji MA, Ray LA, Markides KS. Trends in Hypertension Prevalence, Awareness, Treatment and Control in Older Mexican Americans, 1993-2005. Ann Epidemiol. 21(1):15-25. 2011
- Kuo HK, Al Snih S, Kuo YF, Raji MA. The associations of albuminuria and C-reactive protein with functional disability in older adults with diabetes mellitus: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1999-2008. Diabetes Care. 34(3):710-7. 2011
- Gordon T, Tyreman N, Raji MA. The basis for diminished functional recovery after delayed peripheral nerve repair. The Journal of Neuroscience. J Neurosci. 31(14):5325-34. 2011
- Baillargeon JG, Kuo, Y, LinY, Raji MA, Singh A, Goodwin J. Effect of mental disorders on diagnosis, treatment, and survival of older patients with colon cancer. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 7:1268-73.2011
- Pedraza S, Al Snih S, Ottenbacher KJ, Markides KS, Raji MA. Sleep quality and sleep problems in Mexican Americans aged 75 and older. Aging Clin Exp Res. 24(4):391-7. 2012
- Baillargeon J, Holmes HM, Lin YL, Raji MA, Sharma G, Kuo YF. Concurrent use of warfarin and antibiotics and the risk of bleeding in older adults. Am J Med. 125(2):183-9.2012
- Kuo HK, Al Snih S, Kuo YF, Raji MA. Chronic inflammation, albuminuria, and functional disability in older adults with cardiovascular disease: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999-2008. Atherosclerosis. 222(2):502-8. 2012
- Howrey BT, Peek MK, Raji MA, Ray LA, Ottenbacher KJ Self-reported sleep characteristics and mortality in older adults of mexican origin: results from the Hispanic established population for the epidemiologic study of the elderly. J Am Geriatr Soc. 60:1906-11.2012
- Fisher SR, Kuo YF, Sharma G, Raji MA, Kumar A, Goodwin JS, Ostir GV, Ottenbacher KJ. Mobility After Hospital Discharge as a Marker for 30-Day Readmission. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 68(7):805-10. 2013
- Raji MA, Lowery M, Lin YL, Kuo YF, Baillargeon J, Goodwin JS. National Utilization Patterns of Warfarin Use in Older Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: A Population Based Study of Medicare Part D Beneficiaries. Ann Pharmacother. 47(1):35-42. 2013
The department of internal medicine is developing evidence based clinical protocols which will be available in EPIC (as order sets) for use when admitting patients with these diagnoses. Their AIM is to standardize care and decrease length of stay and readmission rates.Currently available protocols are:
- CAP - Community Acquired Pneumonia Orderset
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Adult, ICU
- General Medicine Admission
- Immunodeficiency Flow Panel
- MICU/CCU Admission Order Set
- Oral Analgesic Medicaitons
- Parenteral Opioids
- Sepsis, Adult ICU
- 111 - Stroke Alert
- 112 - Stroke Activation
- 300086 - Stroke Floor Admission
- 3000000001 - Stroke Critical care without tPA
- 300088 Stroke - Transfer from Critical care to floor
- 3004002 - Stroke Discharge
All protocols can be found in the EPIC order set section.
The department of Internal Medicine has a large role in the Meaningful Use Initiative. Our participation is key for the success of the initiative. Please visit the meaningful use website for important communication and updates from the Meaningful Use Initiative.