Godfrey N Lule, F.R.C.P.
Adjunct Professor, Division of Infectious Diseases
Godfrey N Lule, F.R.C.P.
Adjunct Professor of Medicine
Department of Internal Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, Texas 77510
Professor of Medicine, Gastroenterologist & Infectious Disease Specialist
Department of Clinical medicine and Therapeutics
University of Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya 00202
|Degree/Training Completed||Year||Name & Location|
|M.B.Ch.B.||1976||Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda|
|Certificate||1982||University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya|
|Master||1984||University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya|
|Msc.||2007||University of London, London, UK|
|Diploma||2006||London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine|
|Fellowship||O2008||Royal College of Physicians, Endinburg, UK|
Dr. Lule is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Nairobi. His main interests are in Gastroenterology and Infectious Diseases. Since the advent of anti-retroviral drugs in Kenya, Dr. Lule has been actively treating HIV infected patients in Kenya. He has participated in the roll out of these medications and has significant experience in the both the successes and challenges of the PEPFAR program. A major part of his role as a Professor is to train young physicians in clinical care and in research. In Kenya, training in internal medicine is a Masters level degree and required students to write a scholarly thesis. Over the years, he has been a mentor to numerous students.
- Lule G.N., Kibuka H., Gatei D.G., Tukei P. Chronic Hepatitis at Kenyatta National Hospital. South African Medical Journal (SAMJ), Vol 81 No. 2 pp 104, 1992.
- Lule G.N., Obiero E.T., Ogutu E.O. Factors that influence the short term outcome of upper gastrointestinal bleeding at Kenyatta National Hospital. Factors that influence the Short Term Outcome. EAMJ, Vol 71, page 240, 1994. PMID: 8062771
- Ilako F.M., McLigeyo S.O., Riyat M.S., Lule G.N., Okoth F.A., Kaptich D. Prevalence of HCV antibody in Renal patients, Blood Donors and Patients with Chronic Liver Disease in Kenya. EAMJ Vol 72 No. 6 pp 362 - 364, June 1995. PMID: 7498004
- Lule G.N. 242 Colonoscopies - A Preliminary Report. The Nairobi Hospital Proceedings. Vol 1 No. 3, pp 139 - 141, Nov/Dec 1997.
- Karari E., Lule G.N., McLigeyo S., Amayo E.O. Endoscopic findings and the preval- ence of Helico-bacter Pylori in Chronic Renal Failure patients with Dyspepsia. EAMJ, Vol 77 No. 8, August 2000. PMID: 19237808
- Lule G.N., and Amayo E.O. Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Black Kenyans. EAMJ Vol 9 No. 7 pp 360 - 363, July 2002. PMID: 12638830
- Mohammed E.A., Lule G.N., Nyongo A., Bwayo T., Rana S. Prevalence of Helicobacter Pylori and Endoscopic findings in HIV seropositive patients with upper gastrointestinal tract symptoms at Kenyatta National Hospital. EAMJ Vol 79 No. 5 pp 226 - 231, May 2002. PMID: 12638804
- Macharia D.K., Chang L.W., Lule G.N., Owili D.M., Tesfaldet G., Patel S., Silverstein D.M., Nganga L., Bush T., De Cock K.M, Weidle P.J. Antiretroviral therapy in the private sector of Nairobi, Kenya: A review of the experience of 5 Physicians. AIDS 2003 Vol 17 No. 6 pp 938 - 940. PMID: 12660550
- Karuru J.W., Lule G.N., Joshi M., Anzala O. Prevalence of HCV and HIV/HCV coinfection among in-patients at the Kenyatta National Hospital. EAMJ April 2005 Vol 82 No 4 p170. PMID: 16122083
- Karuru J.W., Lule G.N., Joshi M., Anzala O. Prevalence of HCV and HIV/HCV coinfection among volunteer blood donors and VCT clients. EAMJ April 2005 Vol 82 p 166. PMID: 16122082
- Lule G.N. Helicobacter Pylori eradication in peptic dyspepsia. EAMJ December 2005. Vol 82 No 12 p 601.
- B. Gitura, M.D. Joshi, Lule G.N., Ansala O. Total lymphocyte count as a surrogate marker for CD4+ T cell count in initiating antiretroviral therapy at Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi. EAMJ October 2007 Vol 84 No 10 p 466. PMID: 18232267
- Kalebi A., Rana F., Mwanda W., Lule G.N., Hale M. Histopathological profile of gastritis in adult patients seen at a referral hospital in Kenya World J. Gastroenterology 2007 Aug 14;13(30): 4117-21. PMID: 17696233
- Lule G.N. HIV/HBV Co-infection. The Nairobi Hospital Proceedings Vol 11 No 1 pp 7-10 (Also presented to Care 5 International Conference 5th HIV/AIDS Management Exchange Workshop - 2nd to 3rd April, 2008 in Kampala Uganda).
- Manuthu E.M., Joshi M.D., Lule G.N., Karari E. Prevalence of dyslipedena and dysglycaemia in HIV infected patients at Kenyatta National Hospital. EAMJ Jan 2008 Vol 85 No. 1. PMID: 18543521