William J. Calhoun, MD
Vice Chair for Research, Department of Internal Medicine
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
William J. Calhoun, MD FACP FCCP FAAAAI FACAAI
Vice Chair for Research
Department of Internal Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-0561
|Degree/Training Completed||Year||Name & Location|
|M.D.||1979||Pennsylvania State University, Hershey, PA|
|Residency||1982||Pennsylvania State University, Hershey, PA|
|Fellowship||1985||University of Vermont, Burlington, VT|
|Fellowship||1992||University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI|
|2005 Certificate in Medical and Health Care Management||2005||Rice University, Houston, TX|
- Role of alveolar macrophage in asthma
- Cytokine regulation of airway inflammation in asthma
- Functional genomics in asthma
- Severe asthma
- Glucocorticoid receptor structure and function in asthma
- Calhoun, W.J., Lavins, B.J., Minkwitz, M.C., Evans, R., Gleich, G.J., Cohn, J. Effect of Zafirlukast (Accolate) on cellular mediators of inflammation: Bronchoalveolar lavage fluid findings after segmental antigen challenge. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 157 5(1):1381-1389, 1998.
- Ameredes BT, Calhoun W.J. Modulation of GM-CSF release by enantiomeric beta-agonists in human airway smooth muscle. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 116(1):65-72, 2005.
- Ogawa,Y., Calhoun, W.J. The role of leukotrienes in airway inflammation. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 118(4):789-98, 2006.
- Brasier, A.R, Victor, S., Boetticher, G.D., Ju, H, Lee, C., Bleecker, E.R., Castro, M., Busse, W.W., Calhoun W.J. Molecular Phenotyping of Severe Asthma Using Pattern Recognition of Bronchoalveolar Lavage-Derived Cytokines. J. Allergy Clin. Immun., 121(1);30-37, 2008.
- Kumar, R., Calhoun, WJ, Differential regulation of the transcriptional activity of the glucocorticoid receptor through site-specific phosphorylation. Biologics: Targets &Therapy 0000:0(0) 1-10. Epub 2008 Jul 08.
- Asthma, including severe asthma
- Immunologic Lung Diseases
- Interstitial Lung Diseases
- Occupational Lung Diseases
- Allergic diseases of respiratory tract, eyes, and skin
Multispecialty Center and Stark Diabetes Clinic
View Larger Map
The UTMB Center for Global Health Education (CGHE) is dedicated to the training of tomorrow's global health work force to improve health for the people of Texas and around the world. Check out their website for more information on the global health programs and education going on in our department.
The department of internal medicine is developing evidence based clinical protocols which will be available in EPIC (as order sets) for use when admitting patients with these diagnoses. Their AIM is to standardize care and decrease length of stay and readmission rates.Currently available protocols are:
- CAP - Community Acquired Pneumonia Orderset
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Adult, ICU
- General Medicine Admission
- Immunodeficiency Flow Panel
- MICU/CCU Admission Order Set
- Oral Analgesic Medicaitons
- Parenteral Opioids
- Sepsis, Adult ICU
All protocols can be found in the EPIC order set section.
The department of Internal Medicine has a large role in the Meaningful Use Initiative. Our participation is key for the success of the initiative. Please visit the meaningful use website for important communication and updates from the Meaningful Use Initiative.