Anita Mercado, MD
Associate Professor, Division of Pulmonary Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
Anita Mercado, MD
Division of Pulmonary Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
Department of Internal Medicine Director of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Director of Pulmonary Clinics
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-0561
|Degree/Training Completed||Year||Name & Location|
|M.D.||1991||University of Texas Medical Branch
|Fellowship Geriatric Medicine||1998||University of Texas Medical Branch
|Fellowship Pulmonary Medicine||1996||University of Texas Medical Branch
|Internship & Residency||1994||University of Texas Medical Branch
- Boyars MC, Mercado AC. Community acquired pneumonia: Update on antibiotic therapy. Consultant 38(7):1659-1676; 1998.
- Boyars MC, Karnath B, Mercado AC. Review of clinical signs: Acute dyspnea: A sign of underlying disease. Hospital Physician 40(7):23-27; 2004.
- Boyars MC, Mercado AC. Defining effective treatment for latent TB infection. The Journal of Respiratory Diseases 25(11):488-495; 2004.
- Szauter KM, Ainsworth MA, Holden MD, Mercado AC. Do Students Do What They Write and Write What They Do? The Match between the Patient Encounter and patient note. Academic Medicine 2006; 81(10): S44-S47
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Chronic Diseases in the Elderly
UHC Clinic – University of Texas Medical Branch
5th Floor UHC Clinic
Appointments: Wednesday afternoons
The department of internal medicine is developing evidence based clinical protocols which will be available in EPIC (as order sets) for use when admitting patients with these diagnoses. Their AIM is to standardize care and decrease length of stay and readmission rates.Currently available protocols are:
- CAP - Community Acquired Pneumonia Orderset
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Adult, ICU
- General Medicine Admission
- Immunodeficiency Flow Panel
- MICU/CCU Admission Order Set
- Oral Analgesic Medicaitons
- Parenteral Opioids
- Sepsis, Adult ICU
- 111 - Stroke Alert
- 112 - Stroke Activation
- 300086 - Stroke Floor Admission
- 3000000001 - Stroke Critical care without tPA
- 300088 Stroke - Transfer from Critical care to floor
- 3004002 - Stroke Discharge
All protocols can be found in the EPIC order set section.
The department of Internal Medicine has a large role in the Meaningful Use Initiative. Our participation is key for the success of the initiative. Please visit the meaningful use website for important communication and updates from the Meaningful Use Initiative.