Grand Rounds Information
Department of Internal Medicine Awards
Congratulations to Dr. Bernard Karnath!
He is the recipient of the 2013 Herbert S. Waxman Award for Outstanding Medical Educator. This is a national award given by the American College of Physicians.
Congratulation to Dr. Sonstein and Dr. Sharma on their recent
recognition at the UT System Quality Conference.
Department of Internal Medicine Grand Rounds
Abnormal Thyroid Function Tests
Madiha I. Khan, MD
Division of Endocrinology
Department of Internal Medicine
Thursday, August 21, 2014
12:00pm - 1:00pm
Research Bldg. #6, 1.206 Auditorium
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants should be able to:
- Recommend appropriate perioperative cardiac testing using the current ACC/AHA guidelines and risk calculators.
- Recommend use of beta blockers using the current ACC/AHA guidelines.
- Update on statin use and perioperative medicine.
DISCLOSURE STATEMENT (Speaker):
Dr. Gupta has no relevant financial relationships with commercial interests to disclose.
DISCLOSURE STATEMENT (Planning Committee Members):
Drs. Randall Urban, Mark Holden, Richard Goodgame and Mrs. Kimblyn Raschke have no relevant financial relationships with commercial interests to disclose.
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston designates this live activity for a maximum of 52 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Everyone is welcome to attend
The department of internal medicine is developing evidence based clinical protocols which will be available in EPIC (as order sets) for use when admitting patients with these diagnoses. Their AIM is to standardize care and decrease length of stay and readmission rates.Currently available protocols are:
- CAP - Community Acquired Pneumonia Orderset
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Adult, ICU
- General Medicine Admission
- Immunodeficiency Flow Panel
- MICU/CCU Admission Order Set
- Oral Analgesic Medicaitons
- Parenteral Opioids
- Sepsis, Adult ICU
- 111 - Stroke Alert
- 112 - Stroke Activation
- 300086 - Stroke Floor Admission
- 3000000001 - Stroke Critical care without tPA
- 300088 Stroke - Transfer from Critical care to floor
- 3004002 - Stroke Discharge
All protocols can be found in the EPIC order set section.
The department of Internal Medicine has a large role in the Meaningful Use Initiative. Our participation is key for the success of the initiative. Please visit the meaningful use website for important communication and updates from the Meaningful Use Initiative.