UTMB Internal Medicine Residency Program
Our ProgramThe Internal Medicine Residency Program at UTMB is one of the most unique and diverse programs in the country. Our housestaff train at a top-notch academic center, in the midst of clinical, educational and research activity that are current with the latest trends in medicine and technology. UTMB offers sound and flexible clinical training for physicians planning any desired pathway - whether it is an academically-oriented career, a medical subspecialty fellowship, a hospitalist career, or general primary care.
Our housestaff get the best of both worlds - the opportunity to train at a prominent academic institution as well as the chance to enjoy 32 miles of relaxing beaches, superb restaurants, top resort hotels, marvelous downtown shopping, incredible art galleries, and fabulous entertainment and activities in the city of Galveston. Ultimately, it is UTMB's diverse patient population, engaging faculty, unique combined programs, and a family-friendly atmosphere that make this program an ideal location to train. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!
What's Happening Now?
- We are currently in the midst of the biggest building program in the history of the entire “University of Texas system” with a multi-billion dollar program touching on all aspects of education, clinical and research building and infrastructure.
- New 500 million dollar hospital construction currently underway in addition to the existing John Sealy hospital renovations. This will compliment the outstanding physical facilities that have long made UTMB special.
- Newly renovated, state of the art clinic at the Primary Care Pavilion
- High yield 30 minute clinic conference based on Yale Curriculum
- 97% fellowship placement rate in the last 2 years!
- Brand new simulation lab for internal medicine residents improving competency in central line placement, lumbar punctures, thoracentesis, paracentesis including extensive education on the usage of bed ultrasound techniques.
- iPad initiative launched this year with every internal medicine resident receiving an iPad at no cost.
- UTMB provides the perfect opportunity for “one stop, one shop, training paradise.” This is evident in clinical opportunities available at John Sealy Hospital, Texas Department of Criminal Justice hospital, and the Primary Care Pavilion.
- Since Hurricane Ike fostered the establishment of over 30 new state of the art, outpatient clinics on the mainland, and with the TDCJ as robust as ever, IM residents can experience the complete package of internal medicine training without having to move from site to site.
- Indigent care, private insurance patients, prisoner health, telemedicine, level 1 trauma emergency care is all available at the main UTMB campus.
- With the dramatic increase in patient draw from the mainland, UTMB has transformed itself into a comprehensive training institute and a leader in clinical excellence.