Our Residency ProgramThe Internal Medicine Residency Program at UTMB is one of the most unique and diverse programs in the country. Our house staff train at a top-notch academic center, in the midst of clinical, educational and research activity that are current with the latest trends in medicine and technology.
UTMB offers sound and flexible clinical training for physicians planning any desired pathway - whether it is an academically-oriented career, a medical subspecialty fellowship, a hospitalist career, or general primary care.
We are also home to several combined specialty training programs, in General Preventive Medicine offering a concentration in Global Health, and Aerospace Medicine in partnership with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) - the only such program in the United States.Our house staff get the best of both worlds - the opportunity to train at a prominent academic institution as well as the chance to enjoy 32 miles of relaxing beaches, superb restaurants, top resort hotels, marvelous downtown shopping, incredible art galleries, and fabulous entertainment and activities in the city of Galveston. Ultimately, it is UTMB's diverse patient population, engaging faculty, unique combined programs, and a family-friendly atmosphere that make this program an ideal location to train. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!
What's Happening Now?
- 2014 graduates had a record research and scholarly activity presenting/co-authoring 132 abstracts and presentations at international, national, or regional meetings. Also, they published 24 manuscripts in high impact journals and 1 book chapter over the past 3 years. Would you like to know more?
- We are currently in the midst of the largest building program in the history of the entire "University of Texas system" with a multi-billion dollar program touching on all aspects of education, clinical and research innovation and infrastructure.
- New 500 million dollar hospital construction currently underway in addition to the existing John Sealy hospital renovations. This will compliment the outstanding physical facilities that have long made UTMB a leader in Texas medical care. Would you like to know more?
- New program initiatives take clinical decision-making and patient centered care back to the bedside. The Bedside Medicine Bundle Initiative incorporates multiple educational and cultural initiatives which substitute the patient and his/her room for the hallway, classroom, office or computer screen. Some of the parts of the bundle are bedside rounds, commit-to-sit, iPads, evidence-based physical exam, point of care ultrasound, and ultrasound guided bedside procedures. Would you like to know more?
- $25,000 Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program (MKSAP 16) initiative. Would you like to know more?
- Newly renovated, state of the art primary care clinics in both Victory Lakes and Galveston locations.
- High yield 30 minute clinic conference based on Yale Curriculum.
- 97% fellowship placement rate in the last 2 years!
- In coordination with our critical care fellowship, all residents are now trained in our procedure simulation lab, improving competency in central line placement, lumbar punctures, thoracentesis, paracentesis, and diagnostic ultrasound. Would you like to know more?
- Since the launch of our bedside ultrasound initiative in 2013- all inpatient team rounds include extensive training in bedside ultrasound techniques. Would you like to know more?
- UTMB provides the perfect opportunity for "one stop, one shop, training paradise." This is evident in clinical opportunities available at John Sealy Hospital, Texas Department of Criminal Justice hospital, and the Primary Care Pavilion.
- Indigent care, private insurance patients, prisoner health, telemedicine, level 1 trauma emergency care is all available at the main UTMB campus.
- With the dramatic increase in patient draw from the mainland, UTMB has transformed itself into a comprehensive training institute and a leader in clinical excellence.