William L. Buford, Jr., PhD, PE
Orthopaedics Biomechanics Laboratory
1968 B.S., United States Air Force Academy
1976 M.S., California State University, Sacramento
1984 Ph.D., Louisiana State University
1980 Certified Clinical Engineer
Current Professional Activities
Member, American Society of Biomechanics
Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society
Role in Residency Program
Director, Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory
Biomechanics course for second year residents: Introduction to Biomechanics
Statistics and Dynamics in Biomechanics
Mechanics of Materials
Biomechanics Research and Computer Simulation
- Buford, W.L., Jr., Ivey, F.M., Nakamura, T., Patterson, R.M., Nguyen, D.,
"Internal/External Rotation Moment Arms of Muscles at the Knee-Moment Arms for
the Normal Knee and the ACL Deficient Knee," The Knee, August 2001.
- Grecula, M.J., Morris, R.J., Laughlin, J.C., Buford, W.L., Jr., Patterson, R.M.,
"Femoral Surface Strain in Intact Composite Femurs: A Custom Computer Analysis
of the Photoelastic Coating Technique," IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Engineering, 47(7): 926-33, 2000.
- Simmons, D.J., Yang, J., Yang, S., Bi, L.X., Buford, W.L., Crowther, R.S., Carney, D.H.,
"Thrombin Peptide Significantly Accelerates Repair of Fresh Fractures in Rats," Transactions of the Orthopaedic Research Society, 24, 1998.
- Bell-Krotoski, J.A., Buford, W.L., Jr., "The Force/Time Relationship of Clinically Used
Sensory Testing Instruments: A Revision and Update," Journal of Hand Therapy, 10(4): 297-309, 1997.
- Buford, W.L., Jr., Ivey, F.M., Malone, D.J. and Nguyen, D., "The Effect of Total Knee Arthroplasty
Upon Muscle Moment Arm Balance at the Knee," The American Society of Biomechanics Conference Proceedings, 211-212, October 17-19, 1996.