CIRWH was inaugurated in February 2002. The mission of this center is to promote, stimulate and support interdisciplinary research related to the health of women across the life span. Such research incudes conditions:
- Unique to women or a subgroup of women
- More prevalent in women than men
- Where the intervention / care of women is different from that of men
Furthermore, the center promotes interactions between investigators from different backgrounds who can contribute different perspectives, training, and expertise to collaborative efforts. To that end, the center
- designs and seeks funding for collaborative grants,
- partners with existing programs to encourage investigations of sex/gender differences in health and disease, and
- provides structured mentoring to motivated junior investigators who are committed to women's health.