On-Line Death Certification
TER-Death Registration is an online system that requires Internet access to the new Certificate of Death. Anyone involved in completion of the Certificate of Death can participate. TER makes it possible for physicians, justices of the peace, medical examiners and funeral directors to sign, certify, or verify the Certificate of Death. The death certificate must be filed no later than ten (10) days from the date of the death. If you have any questions please contact the TER help desk at or visit the website at www.TERDeath.Texasvsu.org
UTMB new faculty and residents are responsible for signing up for TER death certification once they have received their orientation packets. Go to the TER website, listed above and download TER registration form. Once the form is completed and submitted the state will fax a copy to UTMB TER Administrator.
The TER Administrator for UTMB Hospital is Shara Nychole Upton. firstname.lastname@example.org The TER Administrator also can assist with re-setting passwords and answer questions and concerns.
- The funeral home is responsible for initiating the death certificate on a patient.
- The pronouncing physician will receive an email from the funeral home notifying them to complete the electronic death certificate.
- Death certificates not completed within ten (10) days will be reported to the state.
2. Click on Thin Client Application
3. Enter user name (ALL CAPS) to password
4. Enter password (ALL LOWER CASE) to login
5. Click on login
6. Click location name:
- If Medical Examiner case: Click on Galveston County ME
- If Hospital case: click on University of Texas Medical Branch-Galveston
7. Click OK
8. Click Function tab
9. Click Medical Data Entry
10. Click on filter box at top
11. Click on arrows and then click on all unresolved
12. Click on arrows on the next box and a list of all unresolved patients for UTMB will appear scroll down until you find the patient you need and click on name. The death certificate will appear on the screen. If patient does not show up in the list move to line 13 of instructions, if it does show up move to medical tab 1 instruction on next page.
13. Click Registration tab
14. Click new record
15. Date of Death: Enter date of death (It will ask you to re-enter the date of death again and click OK)
16. Click on EDR: Enter EDR number (you can get this from email from funeral home). It will ask you to type EDR number again)
17. Click on first name: Enter patient’s first name (it will ask you to type name again) repeat and click OK
18. Click on Middle name: Enter middle name (if known) (it will ask you to type name again) click OK
19. Click on Last name: Enter last name (it will ask you to enter name gain)
20. Click OK
21. Click on gender: Enter patient’s gender
22. Click on FIND RECORD at bottom of box
- It will let you know that the record has been found and will be retrieved
- If it tells you that the record is owned by someone else, then the funeral home has entered the wrong physician in the record or has not relinquished the record. Let Debbie know if this should happen, so she can call the funeral home and have them change the information or relinquish the record.
23. Click OK
24. The record should now be on your computer screen to start filling in data.
MEDICAL TAB I: (Click Medical Tab I at top of screen)1. Actual or presumed date of death: Enter date of death
2. Date of death type: click on arrows and a pull down screen will appear and click on the correct type.
3. Click on Type of place of death: Click on arrows and a pull down screen will appear, click on correct type of death.
4. Enter first character: Enter a U in the small box between Type of place of death and Place of death (this will generate the next box)
5. Place of death: Click on arrows and a pull down screen and click on University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. Address will automatically generate
6. Click on Time of death type: Click on arrows and a pull down screen will appear. Click on correct time of death type.
7. Click on time of death: Enter time of death
8. Click on AM/PM, click on down arrows and a pull down screen will appear and click on correct one
9. There is a disk at the top of the page: Click on it to save the record
MEDICAL TAB 2: (click on Medical Tab 2 at top of screen)1. Click on “Was an autopsy performed”: click on down arrows and a pull down will appear, click on correct answer
2. Click on “Autopsy findings available to complete cause of death”: click on arrows and a pull down screen will appear, click on correct answer
3. Click on “manner of death” Click on arrows and pull down screen will appear, click on correct answer
4. click on “Did tobacco use contribute to death”: click on arrows and pull down screen will appear, click on correct answer
5. Click on “if female pregnant”: click on pull down screen, click on correct answer (If it is a male use “not applicable”)
6. Click on “Was death a result of injury: Click on arrows and a pull down screen will appear and click on correct answer.
- Date of injury: Enter date the injury happened
- Time of Injury: Enter time of injury
- AM/PM: Enter correct one
- Place of injury: Enter the place the injury happened
- Injury at work: click on down arrows and click on correct answer
- Street name: Enter the street that the injury happened
- State/Country: Enter state that the injury happened
- County: Enter county that the injury happened
- Zip: Enter zip code where injury happened
- City/Town: Enter city that the injury happened
- Describe how injury happened: Enter the description of the injury
- If Transportation injury, specify: Click on down arrows and a pull down screen will appear and click on correct answer
- Click on disk at top of page to save record
MEDICAL TAB 3: Click on Medical Tab 3 at top of page1. Cause of death pending: If the death is pending click on box
2. Enter chain of events-diseases, injuries or complications – that directly caused the death
- Enter immediate cause of death
- Enter underlying cause of death
- Enter underlying cause of death
- Enter underlying cause of death
3. Cause of death – Part II, other significant conditions contributing to death
4. Click on disk at top of page to save record
5. Check everything over one more time and make sure all fields that are yellow are filled in
6. Make sure there are no yellow boxes left in each of the tabs. If you need to leave a box blank tab through it and a box will come up and ask if you want to come back later to fill it in, click no and the box will change to white.
CERTIFYING DEATH CERTIFICATE:
1. Click on registration
2. click on medical certification (a box will come up asking if you want to certify this record)
3. Click on OK (if all boxes are not filled in on the record the system will not certify the record) You will be notified if they are not all filled in
4. A box with the patient’s information will appear on the screen, at the bottom click on the certify button
5. A box will appear asking you for your pin number, enter pin number and click OK
6. A box will appear that will let you know that the report has been certified.
7. You are finished.
509 Clinical Sciences Building
Phone: x22859 - Fax: x29045
Hours of Operation
Monday thru Friday
8:00am to 4:30pm
Closed on weekends and holidays
For any questions regarding on-line death certification, please contact:
Shara Nychole Upton