Poison Ivy / Poison Oak
Did You Know? Scratching poison ivy blisters will not spread the rash. In addition, the poison ivy rash is not contagious - only urushiol (oil found in the sap of poison ivy) can cause a reaction.
What is poison ivy/poison oak?
There are three native American plants that collectively may be called poison ivy:
These plants can cause an allergic reaction in nearly 85 percent of the population. To be allergic to poison ivy, you must first be "sensitized" to the oils. This means that next time there is contact with the plant, a rash may occur.
What causes an allergic reaction?
The resin in the plants contains an oily substance called urushiol. Urushiol is easily transferred from the plants to other objects, including toys, garments, tools, and animals. This chemical can remain active for a year or longer. It is important to know that the oils can also be transferred from clothing, pets, and can be present in the smoke from a burning plant.
What are the symptoms of poison ivy/poison oak?
The following are the most common symptoms of poison ivy. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:
a contact dermatitis rash characterized by bumps and blisters that itch
swelling in the area of contact sometimes occurs
blisters that eventually break open, ooze, and then crust over
The symptoms of poison ivy may resemble other skin conditions. Always consult your physician for a diagnosis.
Treatment for poison ivy/poison oak:
Specific treatment for poison ivy/poison oak will be determined by your physician based on:
your age, overall health, and medical history
extent of the condition
your tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies
expectations for the course of the condition
your opinion or preference
Making sure you avoid the poisonous plants is the best treatment. It is important to teach your family members what the plants look like and not to touch them.
If contact with the plants has already occurred, you should remove the oils from the skin as soon as possible. Cleansing with an ordinary soap within six hours after the initial exposure has proven to be effective. Repeat the cleaning with the soap three times. There are also alcohol-based wipes that help remove the oils. Wash all clothes and shoes also, because the oils can remain on these.
If the blisters and rash are on the face, near the genitals, or all over the body, your physician should be notified. After a medical history and physical examination, your physician may prescribe a steroid cream, oral steroids, or steroid injections to help with the swelling and itching, depending upon the severity of the rash.
Is poison ivy/poison oak contagious?
Poison ivy/poison oak cannot be spread from person to person by touching the blisters, or from the fluid inside the blisters. It can be spread, however, if the oils remain on the skin, clothes, or shoes. This is why washing your hands, clothes, and shoes as soon as possible is very important.
Preventing poison ivy/poison oak:
Teach all family members to recognize the plants.
Make sure you wear long pants and long sleeves when poison ivy or poison oak are in the vicinity.
Wash all clothes and shoes immediately after you have been outside.
Make sure you do not touch a pet that might have been in contact with a poisonous plant.
Wash your hands thoroughly.