UTMB Faculty Senate
July 14, 2008
Caduceus Room, 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
Present: Drs. T. Albrecht, C. Baker, C. Cooper, E. Cuellar, R. Fox, L. Grumbles, D. Hudnall, A. Hudson Jones, R. Konig, R. Leonard, S. Lewis, E. Protas, J. Ruiz, G. Steer, G. Taglialatela, P. Watson, N. Wills, C. Wisnewski and S. Lieberman
Excused: K. Mossberg, G. Olson and K. Sandor
Absent: Drs. J. Bauer, V. Brooke, J. Gonzalez, A. Koutrouvelis, M. Moore, D. Munsell, C. Utsey, and S. Weaver
I. Approval of Agenda of 7-14-08 – The July 14, 2008 agenda was approved.
II. Approval of Minutes of 6-09-08 – The minutes of the June 9, 2008 meeting were approved via e-mail.
III. Provost’s Comments (Dr. Garland Anderson) - no comments given.
IV. Vice President for Education Comments (Dr. Pam Watson) – (5 Minutes)
(Written report provided by Dr. Watson is appended).
· Dr. Loffredo, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs, Ms. Lodie Massey, Synergy Director and Dr. Bruce Niebuhr, Director of Distance Technology, will all come on board on August 1, 2008.
V. Dr. Cooper, Dean of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences reported on the following:
· MD/MPH was approved and there are no changes in the two required curricula.
· GSBS External Review was June 30-July 2.
· The EXPA Graduate Program review together with the Department of Pathology are scheduled for September 8 and 9.
· UT System Graduate Program Initiative has 37 pre-proposals and the selections for submission of a full proposal will have an October deadline.
VI. Dr. Protas, Interim Dean of the School of Allied Health Sciences, updated the Senators regarding activities and programs within the SAHS. (Written report provided by Dr. Protas is appended).
· Lauren Reynolds, Physician Assistant Studies Student was recognized at the Oslerian Oration for receiving the John and Mary Ann Stobo Oslerian Medicine Award.
· Lodie Massey, currently Director of INDS in SAHS, has been hired as the Director of Synergy.
· Dr. Bruce Nieburh, Associate Professor in Physician Assistant Studies, has been appointed as Director of the Office of Distance Education.
· A new initiate, the Faculty Residency program, will be launched in SAHS whereby faculty new to academia are mentored in their new roles.
VII. Dr. Watson, Dean of the School of Nursing, updated the Senators regarding activities and programs within the SON. (Written report provided by Dr. Watson is appended and revised on 7/15/08).
· We are interested in bringing Dr. Helene Krouse on faculty, should her husband be selected as a Chair in the School of Medicine. To date, Dr. Jack Krouse has not been appointed to a Chair's position in the School of Medicine; nor has Dr. Helen Krouse come on faculty in the School of Nursing.
· Dr. Tina Cuellar will be appointed Interim Associate Dean of Student Affairs in the SON effective September 1; so she will be excluded as a senator from the Faculty Senate.
· Because of her new duties, Dr. Cuellar has rescinded her nomination as Faculty Senate Chair-Elect.
VIII. Chair’s Comments. – Dr. Albrecht reported on the following:
· We need volunteers for the On-Line Training Committee; we have volunteers in SAHS and need volunteers from the GSBS, SON and SOM. This committee will try to find ways to reduce the time it takes to complete the annual online training. Past this on to your Administrators, it does not have to be a Senator.
· Nominations for Chair-Elect for next academic year. Dr. Kay Sandor and Dr. Charlotte Wisnewski were both nominated and seconded for Chair-Elect. Kay is out sick but is willing to serve. Charlotte made a brief statement regarding her willingness to serve.
· Senate needs to be aware that Dr. Konig needs to be replaced on the Computer Standards Advisory Committee. The Committee meets once a month on Wednesday afternoon at 2:30. Please forward your name if interested.
· Election on the Bylaws, subcommittee to IHOP currently stands as 120 “For” and 1 “Against” and the deadline to vote is July 17.
· We will start taking attendance at the Faculty Senate Meetings, with those present, excused and absent. As per the Faculty Senate Bylaws, if a person has 3 absences, the Senate will need to decide about the person’s continuation as a senator. Senate By-laws stipulate no more than 3 absences during the year.
· September 15 is the Annual Lunch Meeting in Levin Hall Dining Room.
· August 31, the Faculty Senators roll off and September 1, Dr. Hudnall will be Chair.
· Please welcome Mary Schlobohm, who is the Executive Secretary to the Faculty Senate.
IX. Chair-Elect’s Comments – Dr. Hudnall, no report.
X. Past-Chair’s Comments and bylaw changes – Dr. Baker, no report.
XI. Senate Business - Committee Reports
Academic and Administrative Affairs Committee
· The Committee reviewed the new Conflict of Interest Policy and forwarded comments to the Senate Leadership.
Faculty Quality Committee
· No report.
· No report
· Dr. Albrecht announced that the Faculty Compensation Plan was being worked on and the by end of the week, he will send out an email.
XII. Guest: Dr. Karen Sexton, Dr. Joan Richardson, and Michael Megna discussed the Hurricane preparedness for UTMB. We are six weeks into hurricane season and you need to have a personal plan. If the Hurricanes are a Category 4 or 5, we will evacuate and we work closely with the city and county offices. Pay attention to the news, weather, bulletins and websites. The information comes as timely as possible. Know what your classification is, essential or nonessential. Keep your badge with you and a picture id so that you can come back on the island. IS is creating a backup system at UT Arlington and UT Austin and the UT System is supporting our work and defining where to send people and computers as well as research data. We have learned a lot from Katrina and we have refined out systems and when to bring back our students. Researchers with irreplaceable samples, seek off island housing. Offsite is an expensive endeavor, check with your collaborators. CryoGene Lab is a state-of-the-science facility that specializes in sample processing and secure storage of biological specimens. If evacuation occurs, animals will be euthanized. The ARC people stay. Remember do not put yourself in danger. When 40 mph winds hit the island, they will blow the whistle to evacuate. Contra flow will be open and there will not be any rules as to what route you take. After a storm, Facilities will have to check out the buildings before you will be allowed in your buildings. For our patients, their records go with them to the next hospital.
XIII. The meeting time has exceeded and a motion to approve to extend was in favor. One of the Senators would like to have Special Called Meeting of the Senate with closed doors to be able to discuss important topics. Motion to approve for closed session meetings 10 “For”, 5 “Opposed”. The regular meetings will be open to all faculty but we can call special meetings which will be closed.
XIV. Chair Elect ballots were collected and counted by Dr. Baker and Mary Schlobohm. Dr. Wisnewski was elected Chair-Elect.
Meeting adjourned at 6:23 p.m.
Committee meetings followed.
The next Faculty Senate Meeting: Monday, August 11, 2008, 4:30 - 6:00 p.m. in the Caduceus Room.