UTMB Faculty Senate
October 20, 2008
New Senator Orientation
Marie Hall Room, 4th Floor, SON/SAHS
4:00 – 6:00 pm
Present: Drs. N. Garg, D. Heliker, C. Holzer, S.D. Hudnall, A. Hudson-Jones, M. Kanuth, D. Munsell, M. O’Keefe, S. Peloquin, G. Steer, C. Wigg and C. Wisnewski
Absent: Drs. T. Albrecht, W. Au, J. Bauer, N. Cintron, R. Fox, R. Leonard, G. Olson, S. Rosenthal, J. Ruiz, K. Sandor, G. Taglialatela, C. Utsey, S. Watowich and N. Wills
Introduction - Dr. S. David Hudnall
We are the voice for UTMB faculty and we need to be proactive and contribute to the governance process.
PowerPoint Presentation (open discussion)
General Features of Senate Activities
1) The meetings are the second Monday of every month from 4:30 - 6:00 pm.
2) Subcommittees – executive, governance, faculty quality, academic affairs and IHOP
3) Monthly senate leadership meetings with Drs. Watson and Callender
4) UT System Faculty Advisory Council (the chair and chair-elect attends these two-day meetings in Austin.
Recent & Current Activities
1) Grievance policy
3) AED units
4) Senate By-law changes (posted on our website, revised May 19th, 2008) reason for the changes: 1) the addition of a new faculty senate standing committee that allows faculty senate input into the IHOP as recently required by the UT System; 2) clarifies the eligibility and terms of chair-elect and chair of the Faculty Senate; and 3) corrects small typographical errors or areas of confusion.
5) Faculty Compensation Plan guidelines (COD wants to see this and discuss with Drs. Hudnall, Wisnewski and Albrecht early November).
6) IHOP review policy (IHOP, we need to find out where these come from, we need to take this on Dr. Hudnall announced and Dr. Steer second the motion).
At the November 10 Faculty Senate meeting, please be ready to select a committee to serve on. Note: The four schools will have even distribution in each committee.
UT Faculty Advisory Committee Descriptions
Academic Affairs Committee: Makes recommendations on issues related to the academic mission and well-being of faculty, including: 1) academic standards of excellence and professional ethics, 2) resources for academic infrastructure to deliver academic programs, 3) relations with students, including instruction, discipline and ethics, and 4) program initiation, review and termination.
Faculty Quality Committee: Makes recommendations on issues related to the recruitment, retention, and support of the faculty, including: 1) faculty responsibilities and workload, 2) faculty compensation, including equity among U.T. System component institutions and with their academic peer universities, and the basis for mer salary increases, 3) faculty benefits and other quality of life issues, including insurance, retirement programs, educational benefits, sufficient support personnel, and family related issues, and 4) a supported professional development leave program.
Governance Committee: Makes recommendations related to the role, status and well-being of the faculty, including: 1) faculty participation in academic decision-making, institutional budgets and planning, and management and administration at the departmental, college, component and System levels, 2) faculty governance processes, 3) Hiring evaluation, continuation, tenure, promotion and termination of faculty, and 4) selection, evaluation, continuation and termination of administrators.
IHOP Committee: Provide oversight of all new and proposed changes to the UTMB IHOP made by the institutional IHOP committee that directly impacts the faculty. Propose changes to the IHOP on matters relating to the faculty. Provide input to the institutional IHOP committee through the Chair of the Faculty Senate (who serves as Co-Chair of the Senate IHOP Committee).
Health Affairs Committee: (Dr. Hudnall serves on this committee) Makes recommendations related to the role, status and well-being of the faculty at the medical components, including: 1) faculty compensation, 2) policies for sharing of expertise within the U.T. System and the community, 3) ethics and informed consent issues, 4) oversight of health and dental benefits and 5) guidelines for peer review of clinical practice.
The chair-elect serves in the absence of the chair and parliamentarian (parliamentarian appointed by the chair, bylaws page 29, Dr. Hudnall will address at the November meeting) and the immediate past-chair serves in an advisory capacity.
Meeting adjourned at 5:37 pm.