UTMB Faculty Senate
December 13, 2010
4:30 – 6:00 pm
Present: Drs. C. Utsey, Chair, G. Anderson, K. Beal, I. Boldogh, C. Cooper, P. Crane, Y. Davila, L. Farmer, S Gerik, S. Higgs, C. Houston, C. Jansen, J. LeDuc, L. Massey, N. Mendias, H. Pine, D. Powell, E. Protas, T. Riall, P. Singh, E. Smith, D. Solanki, H. Spratt, C. St. John, A. Torres, P. Watson, C. Wiggs, D. Wild and C. Wisnewski
Absent: Drs. B. Bryant, S. Croisant and M. O’Keefe
I. The meeting was called to order by Dr. Carolyn Utsey, Faculty Senate Chair.
II. The Approval of Minutes of November 8, 2010. The Minutes of November 8, 2010 were approved by e-mail on November 30.
III. VP and Dean’s Report
Dr. Anderson stated that the new Student Information System, should be up and running in a year. The old Children’s Hospital first floor will be converted into a large testing center for all schools’ use. The blueprints are about to be approved and the project is estimated to be completed in eight months The first floor renovations of the SON/SHP building are in progress and plans for the SHP teaching labs in the old Pharmacology Building are taking shape. We have four contacts for our elevator repairs. Dr. Anderson wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday. Dr. Utsey asked if the old Pharmacology building and Children’s Hospital would be renamed. Dr. Smith asked if he should contact Mr. Brown regarding the faculty lounge and Dr. Anderson stated that they are looking at the support building where a kitchen is located. Dr. Smith could contact Mr. Brown directly with his suggestions for the new faculty lounge.
Dean, School of Nursing (SON) and Vice President for Education – reports provided by Dr. Watson
Dean, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS) – report provided by Dr. Cooper.
Dean, School of Health Professions (SHP) – report provided by Dr. Protas.
IV. Financial Update – Mr. William Elger, CPA, Executive Vice President, Chief Business and Finance Officer
Mr. Elger presented a PowerPoint presentation entitled “Financial and Recovery Update” and distributed a handout on Construction Projects. Some highlights from his PowerPoint presentation include:
Priority Financial Goals for FY2011. 1) Developed a balanced budget for the year; 2) Manage another General Revenue reduction of 2.5% or $6.8M, for FY2011; 3) Prepare for significant reduction in General Revenue to accommodate $20-$25B deficit at state level for next biennium; and 4) Manage the cash flow from the various capital projects.
Legislative Priorities for FY2011-2012. 1) Retain $150M in General Revenue for Hurricane Ike Recovery; 2) Maintain all/most of UTMB’s base General Revenue funding; 3) Obtain debt service for $150M in Tuition Revenue funding and 4) Obtain “new” health services contract with Correctional Managed Health Care Committee/Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
Recovery and Reconstruction. Completed projects include the Gus and Lyndall Wortham Fountain, Parking Garage 93 Solar Panels, Gift Shop and Main street restroom renovations, PET/CT Relocation project, Histopathology relocated to Clay Hall and Cytopathology relocation to John Sealy Annex, 9th floor. Temporary Repairs include Steam System emergencies, lights by the Rose Garden and on 6th Street.
V. Excellence in Professionalism Award (Student Award) – Auburn Human and Cleavon Covington, MS2s, Honor Pledge Committee Members
Auburn and Cleavon presented the Senate with a handout and stated that they would like for the faculty to nominate a student that has shown exemplary professionalism within the UTMB Community. Faculty Senators were encouraged to get the word out to faculty and to nominate as appropriate. This student would have exhibited traits of the honor pledge and the three characteristics of the professionalism charter: integrity, compassion, and respect. The link to nominate a student is http://www.utmb.edu/studentlife/gettinginvolved/ExcellenceInProfessionalism.htm.
VI. Reports by Faculty Senate Executive Committee and Committee Chairs
· Dr. Utsey asked for topics to discuss for their upcoming meetings with Dr. Callender or Dr. Anderson. Topics brought forward: Communication of bonuses to staff, Enrollment and the application process, (taking too much time, from the start to when they get the applications. The result is that many times the best students have already accepted elsewhere), the increase in student enrollment without evident resources to accommodate the increase, concerns especially in the graduate school with how they will be able to sustain the graduates financially, as well as with needing additional clinical sites, faculty and other resources, plans for the budget cuts and where will decreases occur with the new 2.5% cut that was just announced by UT System, what was the criteria for bonuses that were given to staff, Nursing senator wants to know “Why not admit three times a year instead of two times?”, problems with Blackboard, and how do we compete with the for-profit member schools and tuition.
· Dr. Utsey stated that the next UTSys Fac Meeting is January 28-29, which she will report back to the Senate at our February meeting.
· Dr. Utsey handed over the floor to Dr. Wisnewski and spoke on Dr. Croisant’s behalf about a Communication Survey. The Senators were asked to fill one out for input from their perspectives and were handed out what we would send to the faculty for their input. At our Faculty Senate Annual Luncheon/meeting we discussed the goal of improving Communications and the role of the Senators in communicating to their constituents. Dr. Powell suggested sending electronically. Dr. Utsey made a motion to approve the survey and send out to all faculty. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously.
· Dr. Jansen spoke for the Academic and Administrative Affairs Committee and stated they are setting goals and working on enrollment issues.
· Ms. St. John spoke for the IHOP Committee and noted that they are in communication with Ruth Finkelstein regarding the IHOP policies for New Employee Security Clearance (i.e. background check for all employees).
· Dr. Smith spoke for the Faculty Quality Committee and they will communicate with Mr. Brown concerning the Committee’s input for the Faculty Lounge; they are working on the exigency IHOP policy.
· Dr. Utsey wished everyone Happy Holidays!
6:02 pm, the meeting was adjourned. The Committees met following the general meeting.