UTMB Faculty Senate
February 10, 2014
I. The meeting was called to order at 4:32 pm by Dr. Lisa Cain, Faculty Senate Chair.
II. The Approval of the January 13, 2014 minutes. The minutes of January 13, 2014, were voted on and approved by email on January 22, 2014.
III. Provost, VP and Dean’s Report
Executive Vice President, Provost and Dean, School of Medicine – report provided by Dr. Jacobs.
VP for Education and Dean, School of Nursing – reports provided by Dr. Watson.
VP and Dean, School of Health Professions – report provided by Dr. Protas.
VP and Interim Dean, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences – report provided by Dr. Niesel.
IV. Facilities Update – Mike Shriner, AIA, MBA, Vice President, Business Operations and Facilities.
Mr. Shriner presented a PowerPoint presentation. Listed below are a few highlights from his presentation:
Healthcare Core Buildings
· Final Phase: Construction at John Sealy bank of 6 elevators and the corridor to Café on the Court completed.
· Substantial Completions Achieved on January 23, 2014.
Jennie Sealy Replacement Hospital
Interior work in progress
· Level 2-5 – MEP rough-ins 75% metal stud framing 80% complete.
· Level 6 – Shell Space.
· Level 7 (Mechanical Floor) – AHU placement is 100%, HVAC ductwork is in progress.
· Level 8 (Bed Tower) – Beginning MEP rough-ins and metal stud framing work.
Rebecca Sealy 9th Floor
· Creation of a lounge area for faculty breakfasts, receptions and casual meetings.
· Phase I Schedule:
· Schematic Design Complete – January 2014
· Design Development Complete – March 2014
V. Academy of Master Teachers – Dr. Vicki Freeman, Academy Director
Dr. Freeman provided a Power Point presentation and distributed two handouts: Simulation Education Symposium on May 16, 2014 and the Academy of Master Teachers (AMT) pamphlet. AMT website: www.utmb.edu/AMT.
Here are some highlights of her presentation.
Mission: An Interprofessional community serving UTMB through the promotion of educational excellence.
· Established in 2007
· Honorary service organization
· Advocates for Education on campus
· Provides faculty development opportunities for all UTMB faculty.
Grand Rounds: Kathy Doig, PhD, Answering the Question: How Do I Better Study for Your Course? 5:30 pm, March 6th, 2014, Research Building #6.
Call for Abstracts – Deadline March 23, 2014. Education Symposium
Journal Clubs – Last week: Peer Evaluation of Teaching Journal Club, led by Dr. Lisa Cain.
Next one scheduled for March 25, 2014, 5:30pm, Fisherman’s Wharf.
Education Week – May 12-16 – Watch announcements for activities
Faculty Development Day – December 12, 2014
Teaching Skills (in collaboration with OED)
· Reflective Learning through Reflective Writing: How do we do it and how do we assess it?
· February 18
Medical Education Research Certification (MERC) workshops
· Topic: Introduction to Qualitative Data Collection Methods
· Topic: Qualitative Analysis Methods in Medical Education
Faculty Educational Enrichment Award
· Travel support to Education-related meetings and workshops.
Faculty Development and Educational Innovations Grant
· Innovative educational pilot projects.
· Improve existing courses, develop new courses, evaluate instruction, assess curricular needs or develop new modes
· Up to $10,000
Junior Faculty Educational Development Award
· Scholarship, Innovation and Research in Health Science Education
· Salary support for up to 1 day/week
· $5,000 for other support such as travel, supplies or equipment
Educator of the Month Award
· Solicit nominations from faculty, fellows, residents, students @ http://www.utmb.edu/amt/Educator_of_the_Month.html
Help for Educators
· Educator Portfolio Workshop Wednesday, 5/7/14 @ noon
· Educator Resources: http://www/utmb.edu/pedi_ed/AMT/educatorresources.htm
· AMT Expertise Database (in progress) http://www.utmb.edu/ocs/amt-interest-database.asp
Community of Developing Educators (CODE)
A program targeted to and tailored for the specific needs of individual faculty to encourage teaching excellence. www.utmb.edu/amt/code.htm
· Membership is by application and selection is against a set of standards
· Members serve three-year terms and must reapply to continue their membership
· Letter of Intent Due: May 30, 2104
· Applications – AMT Educator Portfolio – Due September 5, 2014
· Selection – Portfolio reviewed by selection team on October 3, 2014
· Induction Ceremony – October 17, 2014, 11:30-1:30
Dr. Walker and several Senators asked for a copy of her PowerPoint presentation. It will be emailed to them and linked above.
VI. Other Business
Dr. Cain reported on the UTSYS Faculty Advisory Council Meeting (FAC) meeting that was held in Austin on January 23 and 24 2014. The resolution on Peer Observation of Teaching model HOP was passed by the Faculty Advisory Council (FAC). Any faculty going up for promotion and tenure must show evidence of peer observation by the fall of 2014. All UT System Institutions and departments are to implement this policy if it is approved by the Chancellors. The model HOP regarding faculty participation in the selection and evaluation of academic administrators below the level of Presidents, inclusive of Department Heads and Chairs is currently being evaluated by the Faculty Evaluation Council. Dr. Cain and the Health Affairs Committee of FAC have been given the task of polishing this policy for presentation at the next FAC meeting that will be held in April. The resolution that accompanies this policy has already been passed by FAC.
Dr. Cain spoke with Dr. Patricia Hurn, Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation the allocation of funds by the UT System for the support of common resources and shared facilities that will be used by multiple campuses in the UT System. FAC approved a resolution supporting the use of UT Systems funds to support shared resources. Hopefully this will free up financial resources that can be redistributed to research faculty. A request for proposals will go out in the spring regarding a shared proteomics center.
Dr. Cain stated that they recently met with Dr. Jacobs. She mentioned the concern of departments scheduling seminars at same time. This makes it difficult for faculty to attend seminars, specifically those given by new faculty or candidates for faculty positions. She also mentioned the concern of some faculty regarding the massive amount of E-mails that they receive. Dr. Jacobs is aware of this concern and is addressing the issue. He will appoint a communications director to assist in coordinating communication on the campus of UTMB.
Dr. Cain mentioned that the compensation committee is scheduled to meet soon.
Dr. Bhardwaj stated that after meeting with several academies, departments, and faculty from all schools that the Office of Academic Affairs is creating a website, to serve as a central resource for faculty. They will start with the School of Medicine as an example or template. The group will meet again in the near future.
A motion was made to extend the meeting 5 minutes and seconded and all in favor.
Dr. Cain mentioned that last month Dr. Lieberman presented the Teaching Metrics. Dr. Lieberman mentioned that he and Dr. Coppenhaver will provide workshops and presentations to address questions regarding teaching metrics. The Dean of School of Nursing and the Dean of School of Health Professions will meet with their faculty.
Dr. Wiggs stated that the grievance policy is in the President’s office and the abandonment policy needs a few minor changes and stated that she is working these issues.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:04 pm.