Provost’s & GSBS Dean’s Report – Faculty Senate 7/9/12
· Provost/EVP/DOM Search - Dr. Callender will invited 3 candidates back for a second visit; 2 accepted and have visited. Dr. Callender likely will decide soon to offer the position.
· Annual evaluations of all Provost direct reports are scheduled and will be completed soon. All employees are expected to have a completed, filed evaluation.
· AAHRPP (see attachment) site visit occurred June Tuesday 26- Thursday June 28. Visit went well and the team had relatively few suggestions for improvement. Kudos to Research Services and the IRB staff and chairs for a great job.
· FY’13 marks the beginning of a new legislative session. While the Texas economy is picking up, state leadership has called for a potential 10% cut in funding for all state agencies. Dr. Raimer, Senior VP for Health Policy & Legislative Affairs has already been busy preparing for the next session; he has hosted several visits to UTMB this spring and summer by legislators and their key staff members.
· The UT System health affairs Graduate Deans Council held its second meeting in Austin on Saturday June 16. A copy of the Agenda is attached to illustrate the range of topics discussed and the members in attendance.
· The GSBS looks forward to welcoming new students on Sat June 18 at Moody Gardens. This year is the first year we accepted no international students unless they were coming with their own stipend support. This allows reservation of stipend assistance for current students who may need it and preserves the pool of training grant eligible basic science students.
· Dr. Kristen Peek, Associate Professor in PMCH, has been appointed as Assistant Dean for Recruitment & Special Programs in the GSBS.