UTMB Faculty Senate
August 12, 2013
4:30 – 6:00 pm
I. The meeting was called to order at 4:34 pm by Dr. Lisa Cain, Faculty Senate Chair-elect. Dr. Cain announced the new senators coming on board in September that were in attendance and she introduced the upcoming chair-elect Dr. Graham.
II. The Approval of the July 8, 2013 minutes. The minutes of July 8, 2013, were voted on and approved by email on July 15, 2013.
III. Provost, VP and Dean’s Report
Executive Vice President, Provost and Dean, School of Medicine – report provided by Dr. Jacobs.
VP and Dean, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences – report provided by Dr. Cooper.
VP for Education and Dean, School of Nursing – report submitted by Dr. Watson.
IV. The Concept of Research Development – Ms. Brenda Boyko, Associate Director of Research Development, Sealy Center for Structural Biology and Molecular Biophysics
Ms. Boyko gave a PowerPoint presentation. Listed below are some highlights of her presentation.
· In response to the funding climate that has become extremely competitive, institutions are beginning to create research development groups. In 2010, the National Organization of Research Development Professionals (NORDP) was formed to support and enhance research competitiveness, and catalyze new research and institutional collaborations within its membership.
· The Research Development Team is comprised of three professionals: a career research in development/research administration professional; an MD; and a PhD scientist, who serve the Departments of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; Neuroscience and Cell Biology, Pharmacology and Toxicology, and the Sealy Center for Structural Biology and Molecular Biophysics.
· The Research Development Team is funded with primary support from the SCSBMB and partial support from each of the three departments.
· They monitor agencies for trends and target funding opportunities and during the proposal process, agency spin, program project organization; grantsmanship – technical review; limited scientific review and supplements.
· In June 2012-May 2013, during their first year, 80 proposals were submitted with their support.
IV. Other Business
Dr. Cain distributed a handout and reported on major issues discussed at the August 9th executive meeting of the UT System Faculty Advisory Council (UT SysFac) meeting. Some of the major issues discussed at this meeting were: Best Practices for Teachers to be expanded to research and clinical roles and teaching evaluations; Draft policy regarding the selection, appointment, roles and responsibilities and training for department chairs at academic institutions; UTS 180, Development of Educational Centers and a Children’s hospital at UTHSC at San Antonio. Dr. Cain mentioned that for the October Faculty Senate meeting, she has invited Dr. Donald Molony, from the University of Texas Houston Medical School, who is the Chair of the UT Systems Faculty Advisory Council. She also sent out an email to the Senators and provided a handout covering the proposed Faculty Senate Communication Plan for 2013-14. She discussed the Senate’s purpose and her plans for the coming year. She would like to implement a blog similar to what Dr. Ben Raimer posts during the legislative sessions and a feedback forum is now present on the website so that faculty can submit their comments and questions. Dr. Cain also distributed and went over the results of the Faculty Senate Survey that was sent to the Senators. She stated that we will need to work on some of these issues, i.e., communication with the faculty we represent and how we can be more effective as a Senate.
The Faculty Compensation Plan was also discussed. Mentioned in this discussion was that the plan needs to give credit to the faculty for all that they do, for example: resident teaching and supervision of graduate student and postdocs. Also concerns for the future of the Graduate school of Biomedical Sciences, in regards to selecting a replacement for Dr. Cooper; the size of the student body; and the lack of training grants were also discussed. We will extend an invitation to Dr. Niesel to attend the Faculty Senate meeting in October, in addition to Dr. Molony.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:00 pm.