Provost’s & GSBS Dean’s Report – Faculty Senate 1/9/12
· GSBS Dean has served since 2007 as UTMB representative to THECB Formula Advisory Committee (HRI Subcommittee). Subcommittee met in Austin monthly from August to December. Committee meets every other year to make recommendations to the THECB Commissioner for requests by THECB for formula funding by the Texas legislature. Committee final report was approved Dec 20, 2011. Report makes recommendations for increased funding over next 2 biennia for all parts of the formula – Instruction & Operations, Infrastructure, Research Enhancement, and Graduate Medical Education (GME). Copy of the report will be provided to the Senate at the March meeting.
· UT System Graduate School Deans (Graduate School Deans Council) agreed to meet in Austin Sat, Jan 21, 2012 to discuss responses to the Chancellor’s Framework for Advancing Excellence throughout the University of Texas System: Action Plan (attached). Subsequently, Dr. Patricia Hurn from UT System agreed to host the meeting on behalf of Dr. Shine and has developed an extended agenda (attached). This is a great opportunity to share ideas and best practices and report back to the UT HRI presidents.
· External review of the SON and its leadership is scheduled for Feb 26-28, 2012
· “Mondays in March” presentations by the UTMB Executive VPs have been scheduled for March 2012 in Levin Hall at 12-1 pm.
Dates and speakers are:
- March 5 – Cooper
- March 12- Sollenberger
- March 19 - Elger
· GSBS plans for Homecoming, March 9-10, 2012. School updates to alumni occur on Saturday morning, March 10.
The 3rd Annual GSBS Dean’ Lecture will be held Friday, March 9 at 4pm in Levin Hall auditorium, and the Dean’s Reception will follow at 5pm in GSBS office suite, Levin Hall.
This year’s speaker will be Dr. Monte Pettitt who joined UTMB Jan 1, 2012 as Director of the Sealy Center for Structural Biology, Professor of BMB, and holder of the Welch Chair in Chemistry. Dr. Pettitt comes from the U of Houston and current serves as Chair of the Keck Center/GCC Oversight Committee.
· GSBS entity goals for FY’12 were finalized in Dec 2011 and are attached.
· GSBS Commencement will be held in Levin Hall May 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm.