School of Medicine Deans Report Faculty Senate 2/13/12
§ UTMBs Integrated Medical Curriculum has been nationally ranked for graduating students from groups who are underrepresented in the medical profession. The latest update (through 2010) is listed below. The only change for this year is that UTMB ranked #2 in % of URM graduates (was #3 for 2000-09).
National rankings (2000-2010)*
· Percentage of graduates
* Excluding medical schools at Historically Black Universities and Puerto Rico.
§ Jennifer Arnold, MD, Medical Director of the Pediatric Simulation Center at Texas Children's Hospital and Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine, will be the keynote speaker for this years School of Medicine Commencement Ceremony, which takes place Saturday, June 2, at 10 a.m. in the Moody Gardens Convention Center.
Dr. Arnold who, along with her husband, businessman Bill Klein, stars in The Learning Channels (TLC) The Little Couple. The hit TV reality show chronicles the personal and professional lives of the couple, both of whom are little people. Each has a highly successful career and both have overcome major obstacles to live full and productive lives in a world structured for taller people.
· A survey of NIH grant funding received by medical school departments in 2011 ranked three (3) UTMB Departments in the top 10 in their respective fields. The report, produced by the Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research, found that:
· Two (2) UTMB scientists received more total NIH funding in their areas than any other individual researcher in the nation:
· Dr. Gary Hankins ranked twelfth (12th) in NIH funding in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
· Seven (7) other faculty members received grants that placed them in the top 50 of their respective disciplines for NIH awards.