Your Appointment at the UTMB Fertility Center
UFC patients receive appointments with board-certified or board-eligible reproductive endocrinologists. These specialists are gynecologists who have had two or more years of special training in treating infertility and gynecologic endocrinology problems. They have expertise in the areas of hormone treatment, surgical reconstruction of the tubes and the reproductive tract, in vitro fertilization, GIFT, and other modern reproductive technologies. As part of an academic medical center, the physicians have access to the latest approaches in the diagnosis and treatment of infertility. Contact us to make an appointment.
What Happens During a Basic Fertility Evaluation?
Infertility tests for a man may include:
- Semen analysis
- A test for sperm antibodies
- Sperm penetration assay (SPA), which is a test to see whether sperm are capable of penetrating the egg
A woman is tested to determine whether she is ovulating. The procedures will include:
- A basal-body temperature chart, which indicates the day of ovulation in each cycle
- Blood tests to determine progesterone level
- An endometrial biopsy, in which a small piece of the uterus lining is removed for evaluation by the pathologist. It is a simple office procedure that determines whether a hormonal deficiency is preventing the fertilized ovum from implanting itself in the uterus.
- If these procedures show that there is no ovulation, then ovulation can usually be induced with fertility drugs such as Clomid®, Bravelle®, Repronex®, Follistim®, or Gonal-F®.
Other Diagnostic Procedures
This is an X-ray of the uterus and fallopian tubes to determine if the tubes are open and to detect defects in the uterus lining that could be preventing implantation. It is an outpatient procedure performed by the UTMB Department of Radiology.
Laparoscopy at UTMB's Day Surgery Unit is performed under anesthesia to diagnose abnormalities in the tubes, ovaries, and other pelvic organs. This procedure provides a clear visual picture of the organs and is also used to treat endometriosis and pelvic adhesions.