Twelve faculty members from health institutions within The University of Texas System have been inducted into The University of Texas Academy of Health Science Education, an organization of distinguished scholars recognized for their teaching excellence.
"These honorees bring their exemplary scholarship to the classroom, the bedside and the laboratory as to enrich health education in Texas,” said Dr. Kenneth I. Shine
, UT System executive vice chancellor for health affairs. “We are very proud of their accomplishments.”
Since 2005, more than 100 UT System educators have been inducted into the Academy. Members represent a diverse group of educators from the many disciplines in health science education who fulfill the strict criteria set by the Academy. Among the criteria on which prospective members are judged are: direct teaching; curriculum development; counseling and mentorship; leadership; and educational scholarship and research.
In addition to recognizing and supporting excellence in teaching, the Academy’s goals include encouraging the development and implementation of innovative education projects, promoting curriculum design and reform, providing financial assistance for innovative educational projects and fostering faculty research.
The new members are:
- Patricia S. Beach, MD; UT Medical Branch
- Gregory J. Botz, MD; UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Karen A. Brykczynski, BSN, MSN, DNSc; UT Medical Branch
- Shine Chang, PhD; UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Ponciano D. Cruz, Jr., MD; UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Steven Curley, MD; UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Larry C. Driver, MD; UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Edward F. Jackson, PhD; UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Jeffrey E. Janis, MD; UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Glen A. Medellin, MD; UT Health Science Center – San Antonio
- Jerry W. Shay, PhD; UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Patricia L. Starck, DSN, RN; UT Health Science Center – Houston
An induction ceremony for the Academy’s newest members will be held in conjunction with the 8th annual Innovations in Health Science Education Conference on Feb. 23-24 at the J.J. Pickle Research Campus.