Yee-Haw…what a great time had by all at the 11th Annual PMCH Chili Cook-Off. Congratulations to the winners!!!
- Best Taste: I Do Chili, PMCH administration – Shannon Carroll, Diane Ellison, Allie Glaser & Tonya Groh
- Best Presentation: Killer Chili II, Aerospace Medicine Residency – Richard Jennings
- Best Theme: Afterburner, ASM Residents – Becky Blue and Jim Cushman
- People’s Choice: Full House Chili - Rick Carroll, Emily Gifford, Kathy Stephenson & Shalonda Turner
- Best Dressed Dude: Dan Freeman
- Best Dressed Dudette: Kristen Peek
Gov. Rick Perry has named Dr. Ben Raimer chairman of the Texas Institute of Health Care Quality and Efficiency Board of Directors. The institute will improve health care quality, accountability, education and cost to the state by encouraging health care provider collaboration, effective health care delivery models and coordination of health care services. Raimer, a board certified pediatrician, is senior vice president for health policy and legislative affairs at UTMB. He is also a public representative for the Texas Health and Human Services Commission Task Force on Local Health Care Initiatives, and past chairman of the Texas Statewide Health Coordinating Council and the Health Disparities Task Force.
The first UTMB School of Medicine Robert E. Askew M.D. Cancer Symposium was held in Austin. Planned by Dr. Judith L. Rowen and featuring Dr. Avi Markowitz, director of cancer research at UTMB, the symposium offered topics such as prevention, survivorship and screening. Also presented were workshops on cancer-related issues such as breaking bad news and holistic approaches. This event will be presented annually and is made possible by Dr. Robert E. Askew Sr., via the Shivers Cancer Foundation, for the benefit of UTMB Austin programs.