The UTMB Police Department held a meet and greet in the lobby of John Sealy during National Police Week to help spread the word about crime prevention to the UTMB community.
As the campus community acknowledged the UTMB Police Department during National Police Week, the police reminded us of some important crime prevention tips, especially when walking to and from campus. Some suggested tips are as follows:
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Use the buddy system when walking to and from campus, if possible.
- Have your keys in your hand before arriving to your vehicle.
- Make sure you lock your vehicle and secure your valuables out of sight.
- Always ensure that you lock your bike to a solid unmovable object; use a U-lock type lock, instead of a cable lock, which easily can be cut.
- Report any suspicious persons or activities you observe immediately to the UTMB Police Department. The sooner a call is received, the better the chances of locating and verifying if the person has official business with UTMB. Report criminal activities that occur in the city to the Galveston Police Department. Remember if you see something, say something.
- Utilize the Safety Watch Program on campus