Welcome to the Division of Geriatrics! Our mission is to promote geriatric medical care through excellence in patient care in our clinics and in the John Sealy Hospital ACE Unit; innovative instruction from geriatricians and other faculty within the Department of Internal Medicine; and a strong partnership with the Sealy Center on Aging whose faculty and fellows conduct aging related research.
On this site you will find links to physician bios and Curriculum Vitaes; information about our Fellowship Program and other educational endeavors, the location of our outpatient clinics and information about the inpatient units in the John Sealy towers, various ongoing research projects and how to contact us if you have any questions.
The department of internal medicine is developing evidence based clinical protocols which will be available in EPIC (as order sets) for use when admitting patients with these diagnoses. Their AIM is to standardize care and decrease length of stay and readmission rates.Currently available protocols are:
- CAP - Community Acquired Pneumonia Orderset
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Adult, ICU
- General Medicine Admission
- Immunodeficiency Flow Panel
- MICU/CCU Admission Order Set
- Oral Analgesic Medicaitons
- Parenteral Opioids
- Sepsis, Adult ICU
- 111 - Stroke Alert
- 112 - Stroke Activation
- 300086 - Stroke Floor Admission
- 3000000001 - Stroke Critical care without tPA
- 300088 Stroke - Transfer from Critical care to floor
- 3004002 - Stroke Discharge
All protocols can be found in the EPIC order set section.
The department of Internal Medicine has a large role in the Meaningful Use Initiative. Our participation is key for the success of the initiative. Please visit the meaningful use website for important communication and updates from the Meaningful Use Initiative.