Karl Eschbach, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine
Karl Eschbach, Ph.D.
Professor, Departments of Internal and Preventive Medicine & Community Health
Division of Geriatric Medicine
Director of Population Research, Sealy Center on Aging
Fellow, Sealy Center on Aging
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-0177
|Degree/Training Completed||Year||Name & Location|
|NIA Fellow||2002||University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX|
|Fellow–Post Doctural||1995||University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI|
|Ph.D.||1992||Harvard University, Cambridge, MA|
|M.A.||1988||Harvard University, Cambridge, MA|
|B.A.||1984||University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA|
Publications: ARTICLES IN PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS:
- Eschbach K, Mahnken JD, Goodwin JS. Neighborhood Composition and Incidence of Cancer among Hispanics in the United States. Cancer. 2005; 103(5):1036-1044.
- Bratter JL, Eschbach K. Race/Ethnic Differences in Nonspecific Psychological Distress: Evidence from the National Health Interview Survey. Social Science Quarterly. 2005; 86(3):620-644.
- Markides KS, Eschbach K. Aging, Migration and Mortality: Current Status of Research on the Hispanic Paradox. Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Social Sciences and Psychological Sciences. 2005; 60B; Special Issue II:68-75.
- Reyes-Ortiz CA, Camacho ME, Eschbach K, Markides KS. El contexto de la familia y el vecindario en la salud de los ancianos del estudio EPESE hispano [Family and neighborhood context in the health of older adults in the Hispanic EPESE]. Colombia Médica. 2006; 37(2, Supl 1):45-49.
- Bratter JL, Eschbach K. `What about the couple?' Interracial marriage and psychological distress. Social Science Research. 2006; 35(4):1025-1047.
- Eschbach K, Kuo YF, Goodwin JS. Ascertainment of Hispanic Ethnicity on California Death Certificates: Implications for the Explanation of the Hispanic Mortality Advantage. American Journal of Public Health. 2006; 96(12):2209-2215.
- Stimpson JP, Eschbach K, Peek MK. Effect of Immigrant Status on Risk of Depressive Symptoms Associated with Spouse's Chronic Conditions. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 2007; 9(1):29-34.
- Al Snih S, Ottenbacher KJ, Markides KS, Kuo YF, Eschbach K, Goodwin JS. The Effect of Obesity on Disability vs Mortality in Older Americans. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2007; 167(8):774-780.
- The Effect of Obesity on Disability vs Mortality in Older American: The Potential Implication of Testosterone — Reply. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2007; 167(22):2528.
- Stimpson JP, Ju H, Raji M, Eschbach K Neighborhood Deprivation and Health Risk Behaviors in NHANES III. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2007; 31(2):215-222.
- Stimpson JP, Nash A, Ju H, Eschbach K. Neighborhood Deprivation Is Associated with Lower Levels of Serum Carotenoids among Adults Participating in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2007; 107(11):1895-1902,
- Eschbach K, Stimpson JP, Kuo YF, Goodwin, JS. Mortality of Foreign-Born and U.S.-Born Hispanics Adults at Younger Ages: A Reexamination of Recent Patterns. American Journal of Public Health. 2007; 97(7):1297-1304.
- El-Serag HB, Lau M, Eschbach K, Davila J, Goodwin JS. Epidemiology of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Hispanics in the United States. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2007; 167(18):1983-1989.
- Artinian, NT, Warnecke RB, Kelly KM, Weiner J, Lurie N, Flack JM, Mattei J., Eschbach K, Long JA, Furumoto-Dawson A, Hankin JR, DeGraffinreid, C. Advancing the Science of Health Disparities Research. Ethnicity & Disease. 2007; 17(3):427-433.
- Tovar JJ, Angel RJ, Eschbach K, Espino DV, Markides KS. Hispanic Established Populations for the Epidemiologic Studies of the Elderly: Selected Longitudinal Findings. Aging Health. 2007; 3(3):325-331.
- Malloy MH, Eschbach K. Association of Poverty with Sudden Infant Death Syndrome in Metropolitan Counties of the United States in the Years 1990 and 2000. Southern Medical Journal. 2007; 100(11):1107-1113.
- Riall TS, Eschbach K, Townsend CM, Nealon WH, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Trends and Disparities in Regionalization of Pancreatic Resection. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2007; 11(10):1242-1251.
- Hagan JM, Eschbach K, Rodríguez NP. U.S. Deportation Policy, Family Separation, and Circular Migration. International Migration Review. 2008; 42(1):64-88.
- Montez JK, Eschbach K. Country of Birth and Language Are Uniquely Associated with Intakes of Fat, Fiber, and Fruits and Vegetables among Mexican-American Women in the United States. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2008; 108(3):473-480.
- Al Snih S, Kaushik V, Eschbach K, Markides KS. Ethnic differences in physical performance in older Americans: Data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1988-1994). Aging Clinical and Experimental Research. 2008; 20(2):139-144.
- Wu ZH, Eschbach K, Grady JJ. Contextual Influences on Polydrug use Among Young, Low-Income Women: Effects of Neighborhood and Personal Networks. The American Journal on Addictions. 2008; 17(2):135-144.
- Reyes-Ortiz, CA, Eschbach K, Dong Z, Goodwin JS. Cancer Disparities: Neighborhood Composition and Cancer among Hispanics: Tumor Stage and Size at Time of Diagnosis. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention. 2008;17(11):2931-6.
- Salinas JJ, Eschbach K, Markides KS. The prevalence of hypertension in older Mexicans and Mexican Americans. Ethnicity and Disease 2008;18(3):294-298.
- Lackan N, Eschbach K, Stimpson JP, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Ethnic differences in in-hospital place of death among older adults in California: effects of individual and contextual characteristics and medical resource supply. Medical Care. 2009;47(2):138-145.
- Nguyen-Oghalai TU, Ottenbacher KJ, Kuo YF, Wu ZH, Grecula M, Eschbach K, Goodwin JS. Disparities in utilization of outpatient rehabilitative care following hip fracture hospitalization with respect to race and ethnicit. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2009;90(4):560-563
- Reyes Ortiz CA, Ju H, Inniss A, Eschbach K, Kuo YF, Goodwin JS. Acculturation and serum nutrients thought to be involved with cancer prevention among Hispanic men. Cancer Control. 2009;16(2):169-75.
- Reyes-Ortiz CA, Ju H, Eschbach K, Kuo Y-F, Goodwin JS. Neighborhood ethnic composition and diet among Mexican Americans. Public Health Nutrition. In press.
- Arias E, Eschbach K, Schauman WS, Backlund EL. Is the Hispanic mortality advantage a data artifact? Hispanic origin classification on US death certificates. American Journal of Public Health. In press.
- Lemus FC, Tan A, Eschbach K, Freeman DH, Freeman JL Goodwin JS. Correlates of Bacterial Pneumonia Hospitalizations in Elders, Texas Border. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. In press.
- Cline M, Sparks C, Eschbach K. Understanding carpool use among Hispanics in Texas. Transportation Research Record. In press.
The UTMB Center for Global Health Education (CGHE) is dedicated to the training of tomorrow's global health work force to improve health for the people of Texas and around the world. Check out their website for more information on the global health programs and education going on in our department.
The department of internal medicine is developing evidence based clinical protocols which will be available in EPIC (as order sets) for use when admitting patients with these diagnoses. Their AIM is to standardize care and decrease length of stay and readmission rates.Currently available protocols are:
- CAP - Community Acquired Pneumonia Orderset
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Adult, ICU
- General Medicine Admission
- Immunodeficiency Flow Panel
- MICU/CCU Admission Order Set
- Oral Analgesic Medicaitons
- Parenteral Opioids
- Sepsis, Adult ICU
All protocols can be found in the EPIC order set section.
The department of Internal Medicine has a large role in the Meaningful Use Initiative. Our participation is key for the success of the initiative. Please visit the meaningful use website for important communication and updates from the Meaningful Use Initiative.