Yong-Fang Kuo, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine
Yong-Fang Kuo, Ph. D.
Don W. and Frances Powell Professorship
in Aging Research
Department of Internal Medicine
Division of Geriatric Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston Texas, 77555-0460
|Degree/Training Completed||Year||Name & Location|
|Ph.D.||1997||Ohio State University Columbus, OH|
|M.A.S.||1994||Ohio State University Columbus, OH|
|M.Ed.||1986||National Taiwan Normal University Taipei, Taiwan|
- Professional Membership
- 1997 – Present Member, American Statistical Association
- 1986 – Member, the International History Honor Society of Phi Tau Phi
- 1996 – Member, the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
Publications: ARTICLES IN PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS:
- Shahinian VB, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Risk of Fracture after Androgen Deprivation for Prostate Cancer. The New England Journal of Medicine 2005; 352(2):154-64.
- Bui Q, Ostir GV, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Relationship of depression to patients satisfaction: findings from the barriers to breast cancer study. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 2005; 89(1):23-28.
- Ahuja, TS, Kumar S, Mansoury H, Rodriguez H, Kuo YF. Hepatitis B Vaccination in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected adults receiving Hemodialysis. Kidney International 2005; 67(3):1136-41.
- Shahinian VB, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Increasing Use of Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Agonists for the Treatment of Localized Prostate Carcinoma. Cancer 2005; 103:1615-1624.
- Lackan NA, Ostir, GV, Kuo YF, Goodwin JS, Freeman JL. The association of marital status and hospice use in the USA. Journal of Palliative Care 2005; 19:160-162.
- Giordano SH, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Buchholz TA, Hortobagyi GN, Goodwin JS. Risk of Cardiac Death after Adjuvant Radiotherapy for Breast Cancer. Journal of National Cancer Institute 2005; 97: 419-424.
- Reyes-Ortiz CA, Kuo YF, DiNuzzo AR, Ray LA, Raji MA, Markides KS. Near vision impairment predicts cognitive decline: Data from the Hispanic established populations for epidemiology studies of the elderly. Journal of American Geriatric Society 2005; 53:681-6.
- Jennings-Sanders A, Kuo YF, Anderson ET, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS (2004). How do nurse case managers care for older women with breast cancer? Oncology Nursing Forum. 2005; 32(3): 625-32.
- Raji MA, Kuo YF, Al Snih S, Sharaf BM, Loera JA. Ethnic differences in herb and vitamin/mineral use in the elderly. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2005; 39(6):1019-23.
- Raji MA, Tang RA, Heyn P, Kuo YF, S Owen, Singh S, Ottenbacher KJ. Screening for cognitive impairment in older adults attending an eye clinic. Journal of National Med. Association 2005; 97:808-14.
- Raji MA, Kuo YF, Al Snih S, Markides KS, Peek MK, Ottenbacher KJ. Cognitive status, muscle strength and subsequent disability in older Mexican Americans. Journal of American Geriatric Society. 2005; 53(9): 1462-1468.
- Patt DA, Goodwin JS, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Dong D, Buchholz TA, Hortobagyi GH, Giordano SH. Cardiac morbidity of adjuvant radiotherapy for breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2005; 23(30): 7475-7482.
- Shahinian VB, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. (2005) Risk of the Androgen Deprivation Syndrome in men receiving androgen deprivation for prostate cancer. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2006; 166(4): 465-471.
- Kuo YF, Ostir GV, Linn RT, Granger CV, Ottenbacher KJ. Examination of Follow-up Therapy in Patients with Stroke: When Does it Work? American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2006; 85(3): 7475-7482.
- Giordano SH, Duan Z, Kuo YF, Hortobagyi GH, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Impact of a scientific presentation on community treatment patterns for primary breast cancer. Journal of National Cancer Institute. 2006; 98(6); 382-388.
- Giordano SH, Duan Z, Kuo YF, Hortobagyi GH, Goodwin JS. Use and Outcomes of Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Older Women with Breast Cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2006; 24(18): 2750-2756.
- Shahinian VB, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Determinants of androgen deprivation therapy use for prostate cancer: role of the urologist. Journal of National Cancer Institute. 2006; 98(12): 839-845.
- Giordano SH, Lee A, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Late Gastrointestinal Toxicity After Radiation for Prostate Cancer. Cancer. 2006; 107(2): 423-432.
- Alfaro-Acha A, Al Snih S, Raji MA, Kuo YF, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ. Handgrip Strength and Cognitive Decline in Older Mexican Americans. Journal of Gerontology Medical Sciences. 2006; 61(8): 859-865.
- Rice JC, Peng T, Kuo YF, Pendyala S, Simmons L, Boughton J, Ishihara K, Nowicki S, Nowicki BJ. Renal Allograft Injury is Associated with Urinary Tract Infection Caused by Escherichia coli Bearing Adherence Factors. American Journal of Transplantation. 2006; 6(10): 2375-2383.
- Eschbach K, Kuo YF, Goodwin JS. Ascertainment of Hispanic Ethnicity on California Death Certificates: Implications for the Explanation of the Hispanic Mortality Advantage. American Journal of Public Health. 2006; 96(12): 2209-2215.
- Reyes-Ortiz CA, Goodwin, JS. Freeman JL. Kuo YF. Socioeconomic status and survival in patients with melanoma. Journal of American Geriatric Society. 2006; 54(11): 1758-1764.
- Riall TS, Goodwin JS, Zhang D, Kuo YF, Townsend CM, Nealon WH, Freeman JL. Pancreatic Cancer in the General Population: Improvements in Survival over the Last Decade. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2006; 10(9): 1212-1224.
- Rotkiewicz-Piorun AM, Al Snih S, Kuo YF, Raji MA, Markides KS, Goodwin JS. Cognitive Decline in Olders Mexican Americans with Diabetes. Journal of National Med. Association. 2006; 98(11): 1840-1847.
- Bergés IM, Kuo YF, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ. Attendance at religious services and physical functioning after stroke among older Mexican Americans. Journal of Experimental Aging Research. 2007; 33(1): 1-11.
- Goodwin JS, Nguyen-Oghalai TU, Kuo YF, Ottenbacher KJ. Epidemiology of Medicare abuse: The example of power wheelchairs. Journal of American Geriatric Society. 2007; 55(2): 221-226.
- Stimpson JP, Kuo YF, Ray LA, Raji MA, Peek MK. Risk of mortality related to widowhood in older Mexican Americans. Annals of Epidemiology. 2007; 17(4):313-319.
- Loera JA, Kuo YF, Rahr RR. Telehealth distance mentoring of students. Telemedicine and e-Health. 2007; 13(1): 45-50.
- Bergés IM, Ottenbacher KJ, Kuo YF, Smith PM, Smith D, Ostir GV. Satisfaction with quality of life poststroke: Effect of sex differences in pain response. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 2007; 88(4):413-417.
- Al Snih S, Ottenbacher KJ, Markides, KS, Kuo, YF, Eschbach K, Goodwin, JS. The effect of obesity on disability vs. mortality in older Americians. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2007; 167:774-80.
- Riall TS, Stager VM, Nealon WH, Townsend CM, Kuo YF, Goodwin JS, Freeman JL. Incidence of additional primary cancers in patients with invasive intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms and sporadic pancreatic Adenocarcinomas. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2007; 204:803-14.
- Eschbach K, Stimpson JP, Kuo YF, Goodwin JS. Mortality of foreign-born and US-born Hispanic adults at younger ages: A re-examination of recent patterns. American Journal of Public Health. 2007; 97(7):1297-1304.
- Wilkinson GS, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Intravenous Bisphosphonate therapy and inflammatory conditions or surgery of the jaws: A population-based analysis. Journal of National Cancer Institute. 2007; 99:1016-24.
- Raji MA, Reyes-Ortiz CA, Kuo YF, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ. Depressive Symptoms and Cognitive Change in Older Mexican Americans. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatric and Neurology. 2007; 20(3):145-152.
- Reyes-Ortiz CA, Freeman JL. Kuo YF, Goowin JS.The influence of marital status on stage at diagnosis and survival of older persons with melanoma. Journal of Gerontology Medical Sciences. 2007; 62(8):892-898.
- Ostir GV, Kuo YF, Bergés IM, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ. Measures of lower body function and risk of mortality over 7 years of follow-up. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2007 Sep 1; 166(5):571-5.
- Taneja S, Mandayam S, Kayani ZZ, Kuo YF, Shahinian VB. Comparison of stage at diagnosis of cancer in patients who are on dialysis versus the general population. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2007; 2(5):1008-1013.
- Loera JA, Reyes-Ortiz, Kuo YF. Predictors of complementary and alternative medicine use among older Mexican Americans. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. 2007; 13:224-31.
- Ottenbacher ME, Ostir GV, Kuo YF, Ottenbacher KJ. Test-Retest reliability of a psychological well-being scale in hospitalized older adults. Aging Clinical and Experimental Research. 2007; 5:424-9.
- Shahian VB, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Characteristics or Urologists predict the use of androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2007; 25(34):5359-65.
- Wang J, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Markowitz, AB, Goodwin JS. Temporal trends and predictors of perioperative chemotherapy use in ederly patients with resected nonsmall cell lung cancer. Cancer 2007; 112(2):382-90.
- Chang PJ, Ostir, GV, Kuo YF, Granger CV, Ottenbacher KJ. Ethnic differences in discharge destination among older patients with traumatic brain injury. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation 2008; 89: 231-6.
- Caban ME, Kuo YF, Mahnken JD, Nosek MA, Freeman JL. Mammography use may partially mediate disparities in tumor size at diagnosis in women with social security disabilities. Women & Health. 2007; 46(4):1-17.
- Ottenbacher KJ, Campbell J, Kuo YF, Deutsch A, Ostir GV, Granger CV. Racial and ethnic differences in post-acute rehabilitation outcomes following stroke in the U.S. Stroke. 2008; 39(5):1514-9.
- Giordano SH, Kuo YF, Duan Z, Hortobagyi GH, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Limits of observational data in determining outcomes from cancer therapy. Cancer. 2008; 112(11):2456-66.
- Graham JE, Ostir GV, Kuo YF, Fisher ST, Ottenbacher KJ. Relationship between test methodology and mean velocity in timed walk tests: a review. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation 2008; 89(5):865-72.
- Wang J, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Increasing access to medical oncology consultation in older patients with stage II-IIIA non–small cell lung cancer. Medical Oncology 2008; 25(2):125-32.
- Reyes-Ortiz CA, Bergés IM, Raji MA, Kuo YF, Markides KS. Church attendance mediates the association between depressive symptoms and cognitive functioning among older Mexican Americans. Journal of Gerontology Medical Sciences. 2008; 63(5):480-6.
- Giordano SH, Fang S, Duan Z, Kuo YF, Hortobagyi GH, Goodwin, JS. Use of intravenous bisphosphonates in older women with Breast Cancer. Oncologist 2008; 13(5):494-802.
- Nguyen-Oghalai, TU, Kuo YF, Zhang DD, Graham JE, Goodwin JS, Ottenbacher KJ. Discharge Setting for Patients with Hip Fracture: Trends from 2001 to 2005. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2008; 56:1063-8.
- Bergés IM, Kuo YF, Ostir GV, Granger CV, Graham JE, Ottenbacher KJ. Gender and Ethnic Differences in Rehabilitation Outcomes Following Hip Replacement Surgery. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 2008; 87(7):567-72.
- Kuo YF, Goodwin JS, Shahinian VB. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist use in men without a cancer registry diagnosis of prostate cancer. BMC Health Services Research. 2008; 14:8:146.
- Raji RA, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Impact of a dementia diagnosis on survival of older patients after a diagnosis of breast, colon or prostate cancer: implications for cancer care. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2008; 168(18):2033-40.
- Ketchandji M, Kuo YF, Shahinian VB, Goodwin JS. Cause of death in older men with the diagnosis of prostate cancer. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2009; 57(1):24-30.
The UTMB Center for Global Health Education (CGHE) is dedicated to the training of tomorrow's global health work force to improve health for the people of Texas and around the world. Check out their website for more information on the global health programs and education going on in our department.
The department of internal medicine is developing evidence based clinical protocols which will be available in EPIC (as order sets) for use when admitting patients with these diagnoses. Their AIM is to standardize care and decrease length of stay and readmission rates.Currently available protocols are:
- CAP - Community Acquired Pneumonia Orderset
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Adult, ICU
- General Medicine Admission
- Immunodeficiency Flow Panel
- MICU/CCU Admission Order Set
- Oral Analgesic Medicaitons
- Parenteral Opioids
- Sepsis, Adult ICU
All protocols can be found in the EPIC order set section.
The department of Internal Medicine has a large role in the Meaningful Use Initiative. Our participation is key for the success of the initiative. Please visit the meaningful use website for important communication and updates from the Meaningful Use Initiative.