Miguel Cabada, M.D., M.Sc.
Department of Internal Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
301 University Blvd, Marvin Graves Bldg., Rm 4.210
Galveston, Texas 77555-0435
Research Associate, Tropical Medicine Institute,
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
Calle Rubens 199, Lima – 41, Peru
|Degree/Training Completed||Year||Name & Location|
|M.D.||2000||Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia|
|Post-doctoral training Tropical Medicine||2005||Tropical Medicine Institute, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia|
|Internal Medicine||2008||Jackson Memorial Hospital, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine|
|Master in Science||2011||University of Texas Medical Branch|
|Infectious Diseases||2011||University of Texas Medical Branch|
After graduating from medical school, I worked in Peru for 5 years as a post-doctoral fellow. I spent most of that time working in the Cusco area performing epidemiologic studies on infectious diseases and travel medicine. I am formally trained in infectious diseases with a heavy focus on tropical and travel medicine. I also trained in field epidemiology, ultrasound of tropical diseases, and molecular biology. I have a master's degree in clinical investigation and significant experience conducting clinical studies.
After my training at the Division of Infectious Diseases of University of Texas Medical Branch, I moved back to Peru to head a collaborative Research Center sponsored by University of Texas Medical Branch and Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia. This center is located in the highlands of Cusco and will house research facilities, including fully equipped molecular biology and bacteriology/parasitology laboratories. My main research interests are the tropical disease present in the Cusco area and translational research of new and field applicable diagnostics for neglected parasites.
Tropical Medicine, Parasitology, Travel Medicine, New Diagnostic Methods for Neglected Infectious Diseases.
- Cabada MM, Mozo K, Pantenburg B, Gotuzzo E. Excessive alcohol consumption increases risk taking behavior in travelers visiting Cusco. Trav Med Infect Dis 2011;9:75-81
- Cabada MM, White AC Jr. Treatment of cryptosporidiosis: Do we know what we think we know? Curr Opin Infect Dis 2010;23:494-9.
- Cabada MM, Maldonado F, Mozo K, Dziuba N, Gotuzzo E. Pre-Travel Preparation and Other Travel Related Health Issues: A Comparison between European and North American Travelers to Cusco, Peru. J Travel Med 2010;15:382-6
- Cabada MM, Nishi SP, Lea AS, Schnadig V, Lombard GA, Lick S, Valentine VG. Concomitant pulmonary infection with Nocardia transvalensis and Aspergillus ustus in lung transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant 2010;29:900-3
- Cabada MM, Echevarria JI, Seas C, Gotuzzo E. High Prevalence of Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Young Peruvians Who Have Sexual Intercourse With Foreign Travelers in Cuzco. J Trav Med 2009; 16: 299-303.
- Pantenburg B, Cabada MM, White Ac Jr. Treatment of Cryptosporidiosis. Exp Rev Anti Infec Ther 2009; 7: 385-91
- Cabada MM, Maldonado F, Mozo K, Seas C, Gotuzzo E. Self-Reported Health Problems Among Travelers Visiting Cuzco: A Peruvian Airport Survey. Travel Med Infect Dis 2009; 7: 25-9
- Cabada MM, White AC Jr. Travelers' Diarrhea: an Update on Susceptibility, Prevention, and Treatment. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2008; 10: 473-9
- Gotuzzo E, Moody J, Verdonck K, Cabada MM, Gonzalez E, Van Dooren S, Vandamme AM, Terashima A, Vermund SH. Frequent HTLV-1 Infection in the Offspring of Peruvian Women with HTLV-1-Associated Myelopathy/Tropical Spastic Paraparesis or Strongyloidiasis. Rev Panam Salud Publica 2007; 22: 223-30.
- Cabada MM, Maldonado F, Bauer I, Verdonck K, Seas C, Gotuzzo E. Sexual Behavior, Knowledge on STI Prevention, and Prevalence of Serum Markers for STI Among Tour Guides in Cuzco/Peru. J Travel Med 2007; 14: 151-7
- Cabada MM, Maldonado F, Quispe W, Mozo K, Serrano E, Gonzalez E, Seas C, Verdonck K, Echevarria JI, DuPont HL, Gotuzzo E. Risk Factor Associated with Diarrhea among International Visitors to Cuzco, Peru. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2006; 75: 968-72
- Cabada MM, Maldonado F, Quispe W, Serrano E, Mozo K, Gonzales E, Seas C, Verdonck K, Echevarria JI, Gotuzzo E. Pre-Travel Health Advice Among International Travelers Visiting Cuzco, Peru. J Travel Med 2005; 12: 61-65
- Gotuzzo E, Cabrera J, Deza L, Verdonck K, Vandamme A-M, Cairampoma R, Vizcarra D, Cabada M, Narvarte G, De las Casas C. Clinical Characteristics of Patients in Peru with Human T Cell Lymphotropic Virus Type 1 Associated Tropical Spastic Paraparesis. Clin Inf Dis 2004; 39: 939-45
- Gotuzzo E, Verdonck K, Gonzalez E, Cabada M. Virus Linfotropico Humano de Celulas T Tipo 1 (HTLV-1): Una Infeccion Endemica en el Peru. (Human T Cell Lymphotropic Virus Type I: An Endemic Infection in Peru). (Spanish) Rev Peru Med Exp Salud Publica 2004; 21: 253-60
- Cabada M, Montoya M, Echevarria E, Samalvides F, Gotuzzo E. Practicas Sexuales en "Bricheros" de la Ciudad del Cuzco. (Sexual Behavior among "Bricheros" in Cusco). (Spanish) Rev Peru Med Exp Salud Publica 2003; 19:83-6
- Cabada MM, Montoya M, Echevarria J, Verdonck K, Seas C, Gotuzzo E. Sexual Behavior in International Travelers Visiting Cuzco. J Travel Med 2003; 10:214-6
- Cabada MM, Echevarria J, Seas C, Narvarte G, Samalvides F, Freedman D, Gotuzzo E. Sexual Behavior of International Travelers Visiting Peru. Sex Trans Dis 2002; 29:510-