« Back

Internal Medicine Residency Program
Frequently Asked Questions

What is the date that you stop accepting applications on ERAS?
Our application deadline is October 15th.
How do I apply for the UTMB Internal Medicine Residency Program?
We start reviewing applications through ERAS in September. Please submit your application through ERAS. We cannot accept paper applications or faxed materials.
When does your program start interviewing applicants?
We conduct interviews from November through January, on Weekdays except Wednesdays.
What Internal Medicine fellowships are available at UTMB Hospital?
Allergy and immunology, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Heart failure, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Geriatrics, Infectious Diseases, Nephrology, Medical Oncology, Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care, and Rheumatology.
Is there a maximum number of years since medical school graduation that you permit for application?
We do not have a set maximum number of years since medical school graduation, but applicants will not be considered for interview if they have been away from medical practice for more than two years.
Do you offer observerships/externships?
Unfortunately UTMB does not support observerships/externships.
For DO applicants, do you require both USMLE and COMLEX scores?
Both are not required. We require USMLE and/or COMLEX score transcripts.

If you have any further questions about the application process, please feel free to contact Michele Bolton our program coordinator.
Tel: 409.772.2653
Fax: 409.772.5462
E-mail: bagarcia@utmb.edu

FAQ for International Medical Graduates

Do you accept International Medical Graduates?
Yes, we accept IMGs and also US-IMGs.
What are the USMLE score requirements?
We consider all scores, but require a two-digit USMLE score greater than 90 to consider IMGs for an interview.
Is clinical experience in the U.S. required to apply?
While U.S. clinical experience is preferred, it is not needed to apply to our residency program.
Do you require a candidate to be ECFMG certified at the time of application?
The NRMP will not allow an applicant to be ranked without an ECFMG Certificate. However, we do not require an applicant to be ECFMG certified at the time of the application or interview.
What type of educational Visa does UTMB sponsor?
Our Department will sponsor H1b visas, and our program is exempt from the cap. The residency program also will sponsor a J1 visa through the ECFMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates).
Resident Photos
Site Managed by UTMB Information Design Services.