Dr. Richard Goodgame
Residency Program Director
Dr. Richard W. Goodgame is currently a Professor of Medicine in the Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine and Program Director of the Internal Medicine Residency. He teaches advanced gastrointestinal endoscopy (ERCP and EUS) in the UTMB Gastroenterology Fellowship Program. He earned his BA (History-English-Religion) degree from Vanderbilt University in 1971 and MD degree in 1975 from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He completed his Internal Medicine internship and residency at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, and was a senior resident in Internal Medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School. He completed his Gastroenterology and Hepatology Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas. Prior to UTMB, Dr. Goodgame served as Chief of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and Chief of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, Texas, and Program Director of the Gastroenterology/Hepatology Fellowship Program at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas. In a former life he spent two years the Caribbean (St. Lucia) performing chemotherapy trials on schistosomiasis with the Rockefeller Foundation and spent 10 years in the Department of Internal Medicine at Makerere University School of Medicine and Mulago Hospital in Kampala, Uganda. His research interests focused on gastrointestinal and hepatic infections, and AIDS related infections. He authored 40 articles in peer-reviewed journals including the New England Journal of Medicine, Annals of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Journal of Infectious Disease, and the American Journal of Gastroenterology.
While at Baylor he taught first and second year medical students Introduction to Clinical Medicine, Parasitology, Clinical Nutrition, and a semester long elective entitled God and Medicine. Most of his teaching time was in graduate medical education as attending on the General Internal Medicine inpatient service, the Gastroenterology and Hepatology consultation service, and the GI fellowship program.
Dr. Goodgame is Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology/Hepatology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. He is a Fellow of the American Gastroenterology Association and member of the American College of Gastroenterology, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, and the American College of Physicians.
1971 Phi Beta Kappa
1975 Alpha Omega Alpha
1984 Distinguished Service Award, Makerere University School of Medicine
1989 Distinguished Service Award, Christian Life Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention
1997-2004 Department of Medicine Award for Excellence in Teaching
2000 Outstanding Teacher Award – Graduating Class of 2000
2000 Baylor College of Medicine Outstanding Teacher Award for Clinical Sciences
2001 John P. McGovern Outstanding Teacher Award for Clinical Sciences
2004 Department of Medicine Teaching Hall of Fame
2004 Barbara and Corbin J. Robertson, Jr. Award for Excellence in Education
2005 Outstanding Teacher Award – Graduating Class of 2005
2006 Outstanding Teacher Award – Graduating Class of 2006
2006 Baylor College of Medicine Student's Nominee for AAMC Humanism in Medicine Award
2006 Baylor College of Medicine Alumni Outstanding Educator Award
2007 Outstanding Teacher Award – Graduating Class of 2007
2008 American Gastroenterology Association Fellow
2011 UTMB Department of Internal Medicine Faculty-Alumni Society Teaching Award
2011 UTMB John P. McGovern Excellence in Teaching Award
2011 UTMB John P. McGovern Academy of Oslerian Medicine Osler Scholar
1. Goodgame RW, Colley DG, Draper CC, Lewis FA, McLaren ML, Pelley RP. Humoral immune responses in human hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoni. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1978 Nov;27(6):1174-80.
2. Colley DG, Todd CW, Lewis FA, Goodgame RW.Immune responses during human schistosomiasis mansoni. VI. In vitro nonspecific suppression of phytohemagglutinin responsiveness induced by exposure to certain schistosomal preparations. J Immunol. 1979 Apr;122(4):1447-53.
3. Sewankambo N, Mugerwa RD, Goodgame R, Carswell JW, Moody A, Lloyd G, Lucas SB. Enteropathic AIDS in Uganda. An endoscopic, histological and microbiological study. AIDS. 1987 May;1(1):9-13.
4. Nambuya A, Sewankambo N, Mugerwa J, Goodgame R, Lucas S. Tuberculous lymphadenitis associated with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in Uganda. J Clin Pathol. 1988 Jan;41(1):93-6.
5. Goodgame RW. AIDS in Uganda--clinical and social features. N Engl J Med. 1990 Aug 9;323(6):383-9.
6. Goodgame RW, Genta RM, Estrada R, Demmler G, Buffone G. Frequency of positive tests for cytomegalovirus in AIDS patients: endoscopic lesions compared with normal mucosa. Am J Gastroenterol. 1993 Mar;88(3):338-43.
7. Goodgame RW, Genta RM, White AC, Chappell CL. Intensity of infection in AIDS-associated cryptosporidiosis. J Infect Dis. 1993 Mar;167(3):704-9.
8. Goodgame RW. Gastrointestinal cytomegalovirus disease. Ann Intern Med. 1993 Nov 1;119(9):924-35.
9. Genta RM, Chappell CL, White AC Jr, Kimball KT, Goodgame RW. Duodenal morphology and intensity of infection in AIDS-related intestinal cryptosporidiosis. Gastroenterology. 1993 Dec;105(6):1769-75.
10. White AC Jr, Chappell CL, Hayat CS, Kimball KT, Flanigan TP, Goodgame RW. Paromomycin for cryptosporidiosis in AIDS: a prospective, double-blind trial. J Infect Dis. 1994 Aug;170(2):419-24.
11. Goodgame RW, Kimball K, Ou CN, White AC Jr, Genta RM, Lifschitz CH, Chappell CL. Intestinal function and injury in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome-related cryptosporidiosis. Gastroenterology. 1995 Apr;108(4):1075-82.
12. Goodgame RW. Understanding intestinal spore-forming protozoa: cryptosporidia, microsporidia, isospora, and cyclospora. Ann Intern Med. 1996 Feb 15;124(4):429-41.
13. Kulkarni K, Tran T, Medrano M, Yoffe B, Goodgame R. The role of the discriminant factor in the assessment and treatment of alcoholic hepatitis. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2004 May-Jun;38(5):453-9.
14. Kulkarni K, Barcak E, El-Serag H, Goodgame R. The impact of immigration on the increasing incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Aug 15;20(4):445-50.
15. Goodgame R. A Bayesian approach to acute infectious diarrhea in adults. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2006 Jun;35(2):249-73.