J-2 Employment Authorization

  1. J-1 spouse/parent's DS-2019 must be valid for 6 months or longer. If not, the J-1 should request an extension of J-1 status through the Administrator of his/her employing department.
  2. Complete USCIS Form I-765, and sign and date letter regarding reasons for employment
  3. Buy a Money Order or Cashier's Check for $380.00 U.S. payable to "Department of Homeland Security"; write your name, address and signature on Money Order and keep carbon copy as your receipt
  4. Have two (or more) passport style photographs taken for each EAD applicant a) Where to have photos taken:
    • UTMB Photography & Imaging Center, 4.438 Levin Hall
    • Creative Photography, 6428 Stewart
    • Most passport photographers

    b) Write name in pencil on back of each photo

  5. Organize documents in the following order and make two copies: Click here for list
  6. Bring completed application and two copies of all documents in the recommended order to: International Affairs Office, Rebecca Sealy Room 4.254, 301 University Blvd., Galveston, Texas
  7. The International Affairs Office will mail the original application and keep one copy. The other copy is for your records.
  8. It may take 4-5 months for the EAD to be issued and returned to our office by the Immigration Service
  9. If you urgently need the EAD so that you can continue working without interruption or begin a new job that has already been offered, consult your International Affairs Advisor at (409) 747-8731

Helpful Links

Contact Us:
4.254 Rebecca Sealy