Two or three blood cultures should be collected from separately
prepared sites prior to starting antibiotic therapy. Blood can be
collected by venipuncture of peripheral veins or arteries, from intravascular
catheters, or by heel stick. Always observe
- Disinfect the venipuncture site
and the stoppers of the culture bottles and collection tubes.
- Clean the site with 70% isopropyl or ethyl alcohol.
- Swab concentrically, starting at
the center with 1 to 2% tincture of iodine or 10% providone-iodine solution.
- Allow the disinfectant to dry.
- Draw blood through a syringe and
needle, and deliver through transfer set or a double-ended needle into sterile
Bactec bottles. (Use a new set for each venipuncture.) For routine
blood culture, use aerobic and anaerobic Bactec bottles. For fungal or AFB
cultures, collect a Myco-Flytic Bactec bottle (red label).
- After inoculation of culture
bottle, wipe residual iodine from the skin with alcohol to prevent irritation.
- Note minimum volumes and
container requirements in the alphabetized listing of tests.