|In order to provide quality patient care and to reduce
chances of potential misidentification of specimens, we require that the guidelines
outlined below be followed when submitting tissues for histopathologic evaluation:
The requisition form (Surgical Pathology
Laboratory Tissue Consultation (Requisition Form 86) ) must contain:
Other Items of Consideration:
- The patients first and last names.
- The patients unique identification number (e.g. Unit History #,
Social Security #)
- The patients date of birth.
- The requesting physicians full name and telephone number or
- The date and time the specimen was collected.
- Pertinent clinical history and clinical diagnosis.
- The source of the specimen(s).
- The signature of the physician collecting the specimen.
- The appropriate diagnostic ICD9 Code
Questions concerning these guidelines
may be addressed to the Gross Room Staff at 772-2855.
- Each specimen container (not lid!) must
be labeled with the patients full name, unique identification number and specimen
- If the patients name/identification number or specimen source
written on the requisition form does not match the name/identification number or specimen
source on the container, the specimen will be rejected.
- Lids must be closed tightly. All specimen containers must be placed
within a closed secondary container (zip-lock biohazard bag) with the requisition in a
separate compartment. Leaking containers or contaminated requisitions will be cause for
the specimen to be rejected.
After Hours: Specimen
collected after regular work hours can be delivered and stored in the Surgical Pathology
refrigerator located in the hallway directly across from the O.R. on the 2 nd floor.
On-call staff available after hours.
- Specimens will be accepted in Surgical Pathology Laboratory until
Monday through Friday.
- If you have any specimens in your area after the courier has made rounds that must be
processed STAT, please have your staff transport them to the laboratory (JSA 2.186).
- Specimens received after 5:00pm will be processed the next day.
- Please contact the Surgical Pathology Laboratory, ext 22855, if you need assistance.