Current MD-PhD Student - Eric Carlsen
||Name: Eric Carlsen
Year in Program: GY3
Undergrad University: Ohio University
Mentor: Lynn Soong, M.D., Ph.D.
Graduate Program: Microbiology/Immunology
Honors and Awards
- Ohio University Founder's Award, 2004-2008
- Ohio University Tropical Disease Institute Travel Grant for Research in Rural Ecuador, June 2007
- Dr. Ruth Mathewson Award, Ohio University, 2008
- UTMB Fogarty Fellowship for Research in Lima, Peru, June 2009
- T32 Training Grant in Emerging and Infectious Tropical Disease, September 2010
- David and Janet Niesel Scholarship Award, 2010
- Robert Bennet Tuition Scholarship Award, 2011
- Wang Y, Chen Y, Xin L, Beverley SM, Carlsen ED, Popov V, Chang KP, Wang M, Soong L. Differential micobicidal effects of human histone proteins H2A and H2B on Leishmania promastigotes and amastigotes. Infect Immun. 2011. 79(3):1124-33.
- Carlsen ED, Hay C, Henard CA, Popov V, Garg NJ, Soong L. Leishmania amazonensis amastigotes trigger neutrophil activation, but resist neutrophil microbicidal mechanisms. Under review, Infect Immun.
- Aguilar-Valenzuela R, Carlsen ED, Liang Y, Soong L, Sun J. Hepatocyte Growth Factor Dampens Liver Immune- Mediated Pathology in Acute Viral Hepatitis without Compromising Antiviral Activity. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. In revision.
- Henard CA, Carlsen ED, Hay C, Wang H, Kima P, Soong L. Leishmania amazonensis amastigotes secrete a stage-specific peroxidase in response to nitrogen oxides that fosters intracellular parasite survival. PLoS Pathogens. In preparation.
- Eaves-Pyles S, Patel J, Arigi E, Cong Y, Cao A, Garg NJ, Dhiman M, Pyles R, Arulanandam B, Miller A, Popov VL, Soong L, Carlsen ED, Coletta C, Szabo C, Almeida I. Immunomodulatory and anti-bacterial effects of cystatin-9 against F. tularensis. Cell Host & Microbe. In preparation.
- Vargas-Inchaustegui DA, Carlsen E, Espinosa D, Tulliano G, Pacheco R, Llanos-Cuentas A, Arevalo J, and Soong L. The expression of inflammatory mediators and its association with the susceptibility to mucosal leishmaniasis in Peru. Presented at the IHII/McLaughlin Colloquium, UTMB, 2009
- Vargas-Inchaustegui DA, Carlsen E, Espinosa D, Tulliano G, Pacheco R, Llanos-Cuentas A, Arevalo J, and Soong L. The expression of inflammatory mediators and its association with the susceptibility to mucosal leishmaniasis in Peru. Presented at the National Student Research Forum, UTMB, 2009
- ED Carlsen, CL Hay, Y Liang, C Yang, J Sun, L Soong. Enhanced leishmaniasis pathogenesis through type I interferon signaling. Presented at the IHII/McLaughlin Colloquium, UTMB, 2012
Hobbies or just something about yourself in general:
I enjoy cycling, swimming, cooking, bluegrass, and playing bass in local rock and blues/jazz bands.