Current MD-PhD Student - Shelly Wilson
||Name: Shelly Wilson
Year in Program: MY4
Undergrad University: Oklahoma State University
Mentor: Cornelis Elferink, Ph.D.
Graduate Program: Cell Biology
My work focuses on the role of the Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor (AhR), a ligand-activated transcription factor, in cell cycle regulation following partial hepatectomy. Understanding the underlying mechanisms of hepatocyte proliferation provides insight to homeostatic responses to injury or increased metabolic demands as well as dysregulated growth during carcinogenesis.
Honors and Awards
- Truman Graves Blocker, Jr. Scholar, University of Texas Medical Branch (2005-2006)
- Sealy Center for Cancer Cell Biology Pre-doctoral Fellowship, University of Texas Medical Branch (2006-2007)
- NIEHS Predoctoral Fellowship, T32-ES07254 (2007)
- Who's Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities (2007-2008)
- Arthur V. Simmang Academic Scholarship (2010)
- Stephen C. Silverthorne Memorial Scholarship for perseverance and excellence in research (2011)
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award, F30 ES016490-01 (2007-2012)
- Alpha Omega Alpha, inducted 2012
- Gould LJ, Leong M, Sonstein J, Wilson, S. (2005) Optimization and validation of an ischemic wound model. Wound Repair Regen. 13(6):576-82.
- Mitchell, KA, Wilson, SR, and Elferink, CJ. (2010) The Activated Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Synergizes Mitogen-Induced Murine Liver Hyperplasia. Toxicology 276:103-109
- Wilson, SR, Joshi, AD, Elfrink, CJ. The Tumor Suppressor Kruppel-Like Factor 6 is a Novel Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor DNA Binding Partner.
JPE7. Accepted March 18, 2013. DOI: 10.1124/jpet.113.203786.
- Wilson S, Lockhart C, Mitchell K, Huang G, Elferink C. (2008, August). Activated Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Attenuates Early Liver Regeneration Via Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 Induction. Poster presented at: FASEB Liver Growth, Development and Disease;Snowmass, CO.
- Wilson S, Mitchell K, Elferink C. (2010, March). Synergy Between Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor and Constitutive Androstane Receptor Activation Promotes Murine Liver Hyperplasia. Poster presented at: Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting; Salt Lake City, UT.
- Wilson S, Mitchell K, Kendra L, Elferink C. (2008, July). Modified Low-Density Lipoproteins Activate the Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor In Vitro and In Vivo. Poster presented at: Annual National MD/PhD Student Conference; Keystone, CO.
- Wilson S, Shetty P, Elferink C. (2010, August). A Novel Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Interaction with Kruppel Like Factor 6 Induces Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 Expression. Poster presented at: FASEB Liver Growth, Injury and Metabolism: Basic and AppliedBiology; Snowmass, CO.
- Wilson S, Kendra L, Mitchell K, Elferink C. (2007, October). Activation of the Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor by Modified Low-Density Lipoproteins In Vitro and In Vivo. Oral Presentation presented at: Gulf Coast Chapter of the Society of Toxicology Annual ScientificMeeting; College Station, TX.
- Wilson SR, Leong M, Mushkudiani J, Gould LJ. (2004, June). Effects of Light Emitting Diodes and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapies on Ischemic Wounds . Oral Presentation presented at: 49th Plastic Surgery Research Council Annual Meeting; Ann Arbor, MI.
Hobbies or just something about yourself in general:
I enjoy playing soccer, reading, spending time with family, and wire work (jewelry).