Current MD-PhD Student - Talha Ijaz
||Name: Talha Ijaz
Year in Program: GY1
Undergrad University: Centre College
Mentor: Allan R. Brasier, M.D.
Graduate Program: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Elucidation of inflammatory signaling pathways in formation of aortic aneurysms and aortic dissections
Honors and Awards
- Elected into Phi Beta Kappa, Centre College (2009)
- 1st place award for poster presentation at Gill Heart Institute Cardiovascular Research Day, University of Kentucky (2009)
- Thomas N. and Gleaves James Scholarship for research and academic excellence, UTMB (2012)
- 1st place award for best student poster in basic science research, 16th Annual Forum on Aging, UTMB (2012)
- Venkateswaran Subramanian, Jonathan Golledge, Talha Ijaz, Dennis Bruemmer, and Alan Daugherty (2010). Pioglitazone induced reduction in atherosclerosis occur via smooth muscle cell-specific interaction with PPAR-gamma. Circulation Research. 107: 953-8.
- Stephen E. Asmus, Benjamin T. Cocanougher, Donald L. Allen, John B. Boone, Elizabeth A. Brooks, Sarah M. Hawkins, Laura A. Hench, Talha Ijaz, Meredith N. Mayfield (2011). Increasing proportions of tyrosine hydroxylase-immunoreactive interneurons colocalize with choline acetyltransferase or vasoactive intestinal peptide in the developing rat cerebral cortex. Brain Research. 1383: 108-19.
- Venkateswaran Subramanian, Adam H. Uchida, Talha Ijaz, Jessica J. Moorleghen, Deborah A. Howatt, Anju Balarikshnan (2012). Calpain inhibition attenuates angiotensin II-induced abdominal aortic aneurysms and atherosclerosis in low-density lipoprotein receptor-deficient mice. Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology. 59: 66-76.
- Talha Ijaz. Characterization of tyrosine hydroxylase interneurons in the cerebral cortex. John C. Young Scholars’ Symposium; April, 2009, Danville, KY.
- Hench, Laura, Donald Allen, Sarah Hawkins, Talha Ijaz, and Steve Asmus. Colocalization of tyrosine hydroxylase with VIP and ChAT in interneurons in the developing rat cerebral cortex. Kentucky Academy of Science Annual Meeting; November, 2009, Northern Kentucky University, Highland Heights, KY.
- Talha Ijaz, Hong Lu, Deborah A. Howatt, Anju Balarikshnan, Richard J. Charnigo Jr, Lisa A. Cassis, Alan Daugherty. Low dietary sodium increases atherosclerosis in LDL receptor deficient mice. 11th Annual Gill Heart Institute Cardiovascular Research Day; October, 2009, Lexington, KY.
- Venkateswaran Subramanian, Talha Ijaz, Haruhito A. Uchida. Pharmacological inhibition of Calpain attenuates angiotensin-II induced atherosclerosis and abdominal aortic aneurysms in male LDL-receptor deficient mice. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology Annual Conference; April, 2010, San Francisco.
- Venkateswaran Subramanian, Jonathan Golledge, Talha Ijaz, Dennis Bruemmer, and Alan Daugherty. (2010). Pioglitazone induced reduction in atherosclerosis occur via smooth muscle cell-specific interaction with PPAR-gamma. Circulation Research. 107: 953-8.
Hobbies or just something about yourself in general:
I enjoy reading, playing sports, and spending time with family.