The University of Texas Medical Branch
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Chandrasekhar Yallampalli, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Distinguished Research Chair in Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Professor, Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Neuroscience and Cell Biology
Research Director, WRHR Center of Excellence
Member, Cell Biology Graduate Program
301 University Blvd., MRB 11.104
Galveston, TX 77555-1062
HONORS AND AWARDS
· Gold Medal, First Rank in BVSc from A.P. Agricultural University, India; 1976.
· Junior Research Fellowship for graduate studies, Indian Council of Agricultural Research New Delhi, India; 1976–1978.
· Assistant Director (selected) for Animal Husbandry Government of Andhra Pradesh, India; 1979–1981.
· Postgraduate Research Scholarship, Reproductive Endocrinology, University of Adelaide; 1981–1985.
· Postdoctoral Fellowship, Reproductive Biology, Medical Research Council of Canada; 1986–1988.
· Honored at the 43rd annual meeting of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, Philadelphia, PA, 1996, for mentoring meritorious research fellows. Three research fellows from my laboratory each received $1,000 award and plaque for outstanding abstracts from SGI President. Three of the 25 awards (12%) were received by my research group.
· Honored at the 44th annual meeting of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, San Diego, CA for mentoring meritorious research fellow, Dr. Y.L. Dong, who was awarded a plaque and $1,000 award for outstanding abstract from SGI President, March 1997.
· Honored at the 45th annual meeting of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, Atlanta, GA for mentoring meritorious research fellow, Li Fang, who was awarded a plaque and $1,000 award for outstanding abstract from SGI President, March 1998.
· Honored at the 47th annual meeting of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, Chicago, IL for mentoring meritorious research fellow, Li Fang, who was awarded a plaque and a $1,000 for outstanding abstract from SGI President, March 2000.
· Honored at the 54th annual meeting of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, Reno, NV for mentoring meritorious research fellow, Gracious R. Ross, who was awarded a plaque and a $1,000 for outstanding abstract from SGI President, March 2007.
· Awarded Distinguished Research Chair of Obstetrics & Gynecology, April, 2012.
Major projects in the Yallampalli program include:
· Role and regulation of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) – family peptides (CGRP, adrenomedullin and intermedin) in vascular functions during pregnancy and their mechanisms
· Utero-placental function and fetal growth regulation by CGRP family peptides and nitric oxide (NO)
· Receptor heterogeneity of CGRP family peptides, their location and signaling in systemic and uterine vascular beds
· Estrogen and progesterone regulation of endothelial and smooth muscle signaling in uterine and systemic vasculature
· Nitric Oxide and CGRP peptides in the regulation of uterine contractility during pregnancy and labor
· Role of NO in regulating host defense mechanisms against utero-placental infections
· Fetal programming of adult health and diseases – role of protein restriction and the impact on the adult offspring hypertension and metabolic diseases – modulation by sex steroid hormones
TRAINING AND MENTORING
1. Li Fang - (2000)
2. Passara Lanlua - (2001)
3. Andrea Witlin - (2002)
1. Yuan-Lin Dong, M.D., Ph.D., Post-doctoral Research Associate, 1993-1998
2. Pandu Reddy Gangula, Ph.D., Post-doctoral Research Fellow, 1994-1998
3. Roberto P. Barroso MD, Visiting Research Fellow, 1996-1998
4. R. Gracious Ross, Ph.D., Post-doctoral Fellow, 2004–2006
5. Madhu S. Lata Chauhan, Ph.D., Post-doctoral Fellow, 2000-2005
6. Chandrasekhar Thota, Ph.D., Post-doctoral Fellow, 2000-2008
7. Katarzyna Wroblewska-Seniuk, Post-doctoral Fellow, 2003-2004
8. Prince I. Devadason, Ph.D., Post-doctoral Fellow, 2005-2006
9. Kunju Sathish Kumar, Ph.D., Post-doctoral Fellow, 2007 - 2010
10. Sayanti Bhattacharya, Ph.D., Post-doctoral Fellow, 2007-2008
11. Pawel Goluszko, PhD., Post-doctoral Associate, 2005 - 2008
12. David Nowak, MD, Ph.D., Post-doctoral Fellow, 2008 – 2009
13. Summer James, MD., Post-doctoral Fellow, 2008 – 2010
14. Haijun Gao, Ph.D., Post-doctoral Fellow 2009 – present
15. Dara Havemann, M.D., Post-doctoral Fellow 2009 - 2012
16. Manu Banadakoppa, PhD., Post-doctoral Fellow 2010 – present
17. Vijayakumar Chinnathambi, PhD., Post-doctoral Fellow 2011 – present
18. Blesson Chellakkan Selvanesan, PhD., Post-doctoral Fellow 2012 – present
Search PubMed Database for Dr. Yallampalli's Publications
Patient Care/Research/Educational Programs/Faculty/
UTMB Home Page/Dept. of Ob/Gyn/Div of Repro Endo