Patricia van den Berg,
M.P.H. in Epidemiology, 2008, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, 2005, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
M.A. in Clinical Psychology, 2001, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
B.A. in Psychology, 1994, University of California, Berkeley, CA
Obesity; disordered eating behaviors (i.e., chronic dieting, laxative use, vomiting), eating disorders; body image as a risk factor for physical and mental health outcomes such as inadequate physical activity and eating disorders; sociocultural influences on problematic eating- and weight-related behaviors and body image, including family, peer, and media influences on eating and activity; weight teasing; weight bias
· Eisenberg, M.E., Pettingell, S., van den Berg, P., & Haines, J. (in press). Who counts as gay, and does it matter anyway? Examining overlap in sexual orientation measures and associations with high risk behaviors in young adults. Journal of LGBT Health Research.
· Loth, K., van den Berg, P., Eisenberg, M., & Neumark-Sztainer, D. (2008). Stressful life events and disordered eating behaviors: Findings from Project EAT. Journal of Adolescent Health, 43, 514-516.
· van den Berg, P., Neumark-Sztainer, D., Eisenberg, M., & Haines, J. (2008). Racial/ethnic differences in weight-related teasing in adolescents. Obesity, 16, S3-S10.
· Haines, J., Neumark-Sztainer, D., Hannan, P., van den Berg, P., & Eisenberg, M. (2008). Longitudinal and secular trends in weight-related teasing during adolescence. Obesity, 16, S18-S23.
· Neumark-Sztainer, D., Wall, M., Story, M., & van den Berg, P. (2008). Accurate parental classification of their overweight adolescents’ weight status: Does it matter? Pediatrics, 121, e1495-e1502.
· Barr-Anderson, D.J., van den Berg, P., Neumark-Sztainer, D., & Story, M. (2008). Characteristics associated with older adolescents who have a TV in their bedroom. Pediatrics, 121, 718-724.
· Arcan, C., Neumark-Sztainer, D., Hannan, P., van den Berg, P., Story, M., & Larson, N. (2007). Parental eating behaviors, home food environment and adolescent intakes of fruits, vegetables and dairy foods: Longitudinal findings from Project EAT. Public Health Nutrition, 10, 1257-1265.
· Neumark-Sztainer, D., Wall, M., Haines, J., Story, M., Sherwood, N., & van den Berg, P. (2007). Shared risk and protective factors for overweight and disordered eating in adolescents. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 33, 359-369.
· van den Berg, P., & Neumark-Sztainer, D. (2007). Fat ‘n happy 5 years later: Is it bad for overweight girls to like their bodies? Journal of Adolescent Health, 41, 415-417.
· van den Berg, P., Paxton, S. J., Keery, H., Wall, M., Guo, J., & Neumark-Sztainer, D. (2007). Body dissatisfaction and body comparison with media images in males and females. Body Image, 4, 257-268.
Copyright © 2010 The University of Texas Medical Branch.