Promote excellence in science education by providing K-12 educators with a variety of professional development enrichment opportunities (free of charge) as well as the supplies, equipment, and kits enabling classroom implementation of hands-on, inquiry-based activities. Teachers are provided with ongoing support systems of sustained and high intensity professional development to assist them in implementing the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), through upgrading their knowledge of content and pedagogy to engage ALL students with interesting, relevant, experiential, and meaningful science learning experiences.
We are part of the Texas Regional Collaboratives for Excellence in Science Teaching
Teachers can participate in the program as either Science Teacher Mentors (STMs) or Cadre Members (CMs). STMs complete 105 contact hours within a year and receive a stipend while CMs complete a minimum of 12 hours. Both STMs and CMs choose from a wide variety of professional development workshops offered throughout the academic year and during the summer. Examples of training provided include:
- Earth science based workshops including GLOBE (elementary and middle school levels), Salt Marsh Tours with activities, Geosciences, and TXESS Revolutions
- At least five weeks of summer Professional Development focused on hands-on inquiry-based learning incorporating TEKS, use of technology in class, science journaling, robotics, and more! (at UTMB in June/July)
- Discounted registration for one-day Annual Regional Science Teachers Conference held at UTMB in Galveston (September or October)
- Grade specific, hands-on, inquiry-based Teacher workshops
- Free loan of equipment/kits/supplies from our Education Resource Center
- 5E Model of Instruction
- Field trips to Houston Museum of Natural Sciences, Health Science Museum, Moody Gardens, and more!
- Online learning provided for STMs through NSTA Online Learning Center
- Opportunity to attend the Annual Texas Regional Collaboratives Conference in Austin (expenses paid) during the summer