Gold Humanism Honor Society
New inductees will be welcomed into the GHHS at a formal ceremony which will take place each August. Formal invitations will be sent to inductees and to family or close friends who inductees identify. For this inaugural year of the GHHS at UTMB the event will be organized by the McGovern Chapter Faculty Sponsors. In future years, medical students, resident and faculty members of the society will organize and carry out the annual induction ceremony.
Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award
Third year students select up to six residents to receive the Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award, based on their demonstration of commitment to teaching and compassionate treatment of patients and families, students and colleagues. Each award winner is presented with a certificate, a specially designed lapel pin and a check for $250 from the Gold Foundation. The awardees are also showcased on the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) website.The 2012 recipients are:
- Joey England, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Jared Heathman, MD, Psychiatry
- Sam Hsieh, MD, General Surgery
- Bobbye Thompson, MD, Neurosurgery
- Gregory White, MD, Internal Medicine
- Houssam Younes, MD, General Surgery
Nominations are usually solicited from the 3rd year class at the end of each clerkship and at the end of the clinical year. Each school creates a fair and objective method of selecting the resident award recipients.
- consistently demonstrates compassion and empathy in the delivery of care to patients
- serves as a role model–illustrates professional behavior by example - for students and colleagues
- is approachable and accessible to students, welcoming opportunities for teaching and one-on-one mentorships with students
- exhibits enthusiasm and skill in professional and personal interactions with students
- shows respect for everyone he/she comes in contact with
- demonstrates cultural sensitivity in working with patients and family members of diverse ethnic or religious backgrounds
- displays effective communication and listening skills
Once a Student Clinician's Ceremony has been established at a medical school, the Gold Foundation will continue to provide up to six Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Awards each year. Grant agreements are sent out to participating schools in late winter, schools should submit an on-line form for the awards at least four weeks prior to their SCC.