UTMB Health Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
UTMB Health Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences (OVS) in Galveston, Texas, is one of the nation's leading institutions for the research and treatment of eye diseases and the oldest in the Southwest. Eye care has been a core specialty at UTMB Health since 1897 and a separate department since 1922.
The department strives to create an exceptional academic environment, provide patients with compassionate care and conduct innovative research aimed at preserving the gift of sight.
Education: Training future leaders
- Mission: To train residents in a challenging yet nurturing environment to be leaders in their field
- Trained more ophthalmology residents than any other medical school in the Southwest
- 11 clinical faculty members teach the next generation of ophthalmologists
- Comprehensive resident training includes excellent patient care, vision-saving research and community service (hundreds of uninsured patients cared for at St. Vincent's House Eye Clinic in last 10 years)
- State-of-the-art surgical training with a virtual reality simulator (one of few nationwide)
Patient Care: Compassionate, Excellent, Comprehensive
- Expert comprehensive and specialty eye care at UTMB Health Eye Centers (Galveston, Texas City, and Friendswood), UTMB Health Victory Lakes (League City), Texas prison hospital (Galveston), M.D. Anderson Cancer Center (Houston), St. Vincent's House (Galveston)
- Diagnose and treat macular degeneration, diabetic-related eye diseases, glaucoma, diseases of the retina, cataracts, eye injuries and more
- Top priority is excellent customer service, earning UTMB Health Eye Centers exceptional patient satisfaction ratings
- Optometry services at full-service Optical Center in Galveston and Texas City
- Most advanced diagnostics and equipment (i.e. only center in Southeast Texas providing newest vision-saving glaucoma surgery with Trabectome)
Research: Vision-saving breakthroughs
- Strive for the discovery of new, innovative approaches to diagnosis and treat eye diseases
- Complete research environment from research lab to patient care
- UTMB Health Center for Biomedical Engineering - Preclinical and translational research using state-of-the art imaging technology. Current studies include examining eye disease onset and progression, particularly diseases of the retina and macular degeneration.
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Center - The AMD Center at UTMB Health Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences aims to advance the translation of basic science into clinical practice and ultimately to improve the quality of life for AMD patients.
- Ophthalmology Clinical Research Center (OCRC) - Current clinical trials on glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and ocular complications from prolonged space flight (in collaboration with NASA).