Current Faculty Research
Dr. Manuj Kapur
- Comparison of visual and cosmetic outcomes and recurrence in patients getting pterygium surgery with conjunctival autograft versus amniotic membrane graft
- Rate of pterygium recurrence comparing different adhesion methods, specifically suture versus fibrin glue
- Visual outcomes and long-term prognosis in patients with Deep lamellar corneal transplants vs Full thickness corneal transplants
Clinical / Surgical Interests
- Refractive cataract surgery with monofocals, toric lenses, limbal relaxing incisions, and multifocal lenses
- Corneal surgery with ocular surface reconstruction, pkp, dsaeks, and dalk
- Keratorefractive surgery with lasik and prk
- Management of uveitis patients
Dr. Praveena Gupta
- Studying the pathogenesis of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and therapeutic interventions.
- Investigating tissue engineering and cell based replacement therapy for retinal tissue regeneration in animal models.
- Non-invasive in vivo imaging of ocular tissues in transgenic mouse models.
Research: Vision-saving Breakthroughs
UTMB Health Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences is striving for the discovery of new, innovative approaches to diagnose and treat eye diseases. With a research lab, clinical trials center and two eye centers, it offers the perfect research environment to translate new discoveries to improved patient care.