OVS provides all ophthalmology residents
- A computer for each resident in the resident office
- A digital camera for use while in resident training program
- Ophthalmology Basic Clinical Science Course books (BCSC).
- Educational Fund: $300 will be allocated to each resident's Resident Education Account (REA). REA funds are used for medical books, subscriptions or approved professional expenses.
- $300 toward a review course to be taken at the resident's discretion at any time during the three years of residency. This allows for flexibility depending on the resident's career goals. The money can be applied to course registration, travel and/or housing costs associated with a course.
- Several ophthalmic lenses used for fundus examination of the eye
OKAP examination: Taken annually, $250 fee is paid by the department
Vacation, Sick Leave, Meeting Time
- Vacation: 12 days of paid vacation per year
- USMLE Examination: administrative leave allowed
- Meeting Time: 5 working days during the PGY-4 year
- Additional meeting time granted if presenting at meetings
Insurance and Salaries: Current information at www.utmb.edu/gme
UTMB Health Alumni Field House: Residents can enjoy the UTMB Health Alumni Field House, which features exercise equipment and classes; tennis, basketball and racquetball courts; heated swimming pool; outdoor track; softball fields and more for an annual fee.