Welcome to Hematopathology
The Division of Hematopathology in the Department of Pathology UTMB is a multifaceted division providing a wide range of clinical hematology laboratory services, including major sections of morphology, automation, coagulation, hemoglobin electrophoresis, flow cytometry, and special hematology. The division is staffed with 18 medical technologists and performs approximately 400,000 tests annually.
You-Wen Qian MD, PhD
Tarek Elghetany MD
Jyotinder Punia, MD
- Bone marrow pathology (morphology, immunohistochemistry, and cytochemistry).
- Lymph node and solid organ lymphoid lesions.
- Peripheral blood Diff consultation and morphology review.
- Body fluid cell counts and morphology review.
- Hemoglobinopathy evaluation (Sickledex, HPLC, gel electrophoresis, IEF,
and hemoglobin A1C).
- Multiparameter flow cytometry immunophenotyping for hematopoietic malignancies and T/B/NK cell count.
- Automated CBC and differential count, automated reticulocyte counting, IPF (immature platelet fraction) and IRF (immature reticulocytes fraction) as well
as Ret-HE (reticulocyte hemoglobin content) .
- Routine and specialized coagulation testing (PT, PTT, PTT-LA, thrombin time, fibrinogen, d-dimer, FDP, DRVVT, AT-III, reptilase, platelet aggregation, factor assay, APCR, anti-Xa heparin assay, factor VIII inhibitor Bethesda unit assay, inhibitor screening, hexagonal lupus anticoagulant, etc.).
- G6PD screening.