Heather Stevenson-Lerner, MD, PhD
Chief Resident, PGY3,
Department of Pathology
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Boulevard
Galveston, TX 77555-0743
Office: (409) 772-5446
||Field of Study
||University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
||American Association of Clinical Chemistry (AACC), 2011 Student Travel Grant Award
||Clinical/Applied Research, Edward S. Reynolds First Place Poster Award, Experimental Pathology Department Research Day, UTMB, Galveston, TX
||Elected Chief Resident for the 2011-2012 Academic Year
||First Place Poster Presentation, Texas Society of Pathologists Annual Meeting, Galveston, TX
||2010 American Journal of Pathology manuscript selected for ASIP Trainee Newsletter, “Hot off the Press” section
||Nominated Outstanding 1st Year Resident, UTMB, Galveston, TX
||First Place Platform Presentation, Texas Society of Pathologists Annual Meeting, Galveston, TX
||L. Clarke Stout, Jr. Award for Excellence in Pathology, UTMB, Galveston, TX
||Center for Tropical and Emerging Infectious Diseases Medical Student Award, UTMB, Galveston, TX
||Robert Shope, Ph.D. Endowed Scholarship Award, UTMB, Galveston, TX
||Arthur V. Simmang Academic Scholarship Award, UTMB, Galveston, TX
||Truman Graves Blocker Jr. Research Scholar, Minnie & Ward Savage Student Fellowship, UTMB, Galveston, TX
|Oct 2006 – May 2007
||Bromberg Scholar, The Bromberg Charitable Trust, NIEHS Center and The Sealy Center for Environmental Health and Medicine, UTMB, Galveston, TX.
||McLaughlin Symposia on Infection and Immunity Travel Award, UTMB, Galveston, TX. Abstract selected for oral presentation.
||American Society for Rickettsiology Travel Award, Pacific Grove, California. Abstract selected for oral presentation.
||Robert Harrison, M.D. Memorial M.D./Ph.D. Scholarship, UTMB, Galveston, TX
||Mechanistic/Basic Research, Edward S. Reynolds First Place Poster Award, Experimental Pathology Department Research Day, UTMB, Galveston, TX
||Sigma Xi First Place Poster Award, National Student Research Forum, UTMB, Galveston, TX
- Texas Medical Association
- American Society for Microbiology
- Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- American Association of Immunologists
- American Medical Association
- Texas Society of Pathologists
- American Society of Investigative Pathology
- College of American Pathologists
- American Society of Clinical Pathology
ARTICLES IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS:
- Stevenson, H.L., and M.J. Loeffelholz. Poor positive accuracy of Quickvue Rapid Antigen Tests during the Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 pandemic. J Clin. Microbiol. 48(10):3729-31. 2010.
- Schneider, B., Coffey, L., McGee, C., Stevenson, H.L, Soong, L., and S. Higgs. Aedes aegypti saliva alters leukocyte recruitment and cytokine signaling by antigen-presenting cells during West Nile virus infection. PLoS ONE. 22;5(7):e11704. 2010.
- Stevenson, H.L., Estes, D.M., Thirumalapura, N., Walker, D.H., and N. Ismail. Natural killer cells promote tissue injury and systemic inflammatory responses during fatal Ehrlichia-induced toxic shock-like syndrome. Amer. J. Pathol. 177(2):766-776. 2010.
- Thirumalapura, N., Woods, M., Stevenson, H.L., Ismail, N., and D. Walker. Protective heterologous immunity against fatal ehrlichiosis and lack of protection following homologous challenge. Infect. Immun. 76(6):1920-1930. 2008.
- Stevenson, H.L., Crossley, E.C., Thirumalapura, N., Walker, D.H., and N. Ismail. Regulatory roles of CD1d-restricted NKT cells in the induction of toxic shock-like syndrome in an animal model of fatal ehrlichiosis. Infect Immun. 76(4):1434-1444. 2008.
- Schneider, B.S., McGee, C., Jordan, J.M., Stevenson, H.L., Soong, L., and S. Higgs. Prior exposure to uninfected mosquitoes enhances mortality in naturally transmitted West Nile virus infection. PLoS ONE. 2(11):e1171. 2007.
- Ismail, N., Crossley, E., Stevenson, H.L., and David H. Walker. The relative importance of T cell subsets in monocytotropic ehrlichiosis: A novel effector mechanism involved in Ehrlichia-induced immunopathology in murine ehrlichiosis. Infect. Immun. 75(9):4608-4620. 2007.
- Stevenson, H.L., Jordan, J.M., Peerwani, Z., Wang, H.Q., Walker, D.H., and Nahed Ismail. 2006. An intradermal environment promotes a protective type-1 response against monocytotropic Ehrlichia. Infect. and Immun. 74(8):4856-4864. 2006.
- Ismail, N., Stevenson, H.L., and David H. Walker. Role of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-a) and interleukin-10 in the pathogenesis of severe murine monocytotropic ehrlichiosis: Increased resistance of TNF receptor p55- and p75-deficient mice to fatal ehrlichial infection. Infect. Immun. 74(3):1846-1856. 2006.
- Stevenson, H.L., Labruna, M.B., Montenieri, J.A., Kosoy, M.Y., Gage, K.L., and D.H. Walker. Detection of Rickettsia felis in a New World flea species, Anomiopsylla nudata (Siphonoptera: Ctenophthalmidae). J. Med. Ent. 42(2):163-167. 2005.
- Stevenson, H.L., Bai, Y., Kosoy, M.Y., Montenieri, J. A., Lowell, J.L., Chu, M.C., and K.L. Gage. Detection of novel Bartonella strains and Yersinia pestis in prairie dogs and their fleas using multiplex PCR. J. Med. Ent. 40(3):329-337. 2003.
- Stevenson, H.L., Ismail, N., and D. H. Walker. Ehrlichiae and ehrlichioses: Pathogenesis and vector biology. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIH. Volume 1: Frontiers in Research. Edited by: Georgiev, V.S.; Western, K.A.; and McGowan, J.J. Humana Press. 2008.
- Ismail, N., and H.L. Stevenson. Innate Immune Response and Inflammation: Roles in pathogenesis and protection (Anaplasmataceae). Submitted to ASM press in July 2011 for publication in Intracellular Pathogens II: Rickettsiales