Marjan Afrouzian M.D.
AP board certified;
Department of Pathology
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd,
Galveston, TX 77555
Office: (409) 772-5534
||Field of Study
Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
||Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
||Nephropathology Division, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (A.F.I.P.), Washington DC., USA
||Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
||Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Immunology, University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
||Department of Pathology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
||Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
||Anatomical Pathology Residency
||Consultant Nephorpathologist, Assistant professor (tenure track), Division of Surgical Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas
||President of Newfoundland Association of Pathologists
||Member of Banff Polyoma Virus Working Group
||Member of Banff Fibrosis Scoring Group
||Vice President of Newfoundland Association of Pathologists
||Consultant Nephorpathologist, Department of Pathology, Memorial University of Newfoundland/ Eastern Health, St. John’s, NL, Canada
||Consultant Uropathologist, Department of Pathology, Memorial University of Newfoundland/Eastern Health, St. John’s, NL, Canada
||Member of Banff Transplant Glomerulitis working Group
||Editor of NEPHMIN, National Kidney Foundation, cyberNephrology Center, Edmonton, AB, Canada
||Member of Specialized Committee in Iranian Blood Transfusion Center, Tehran, Iran
||Cancer Institute, Electron Microscopy Department, Imam Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
||Member of Editorial Board of the “SHAFA” Journal of Iranian National Kidney Foundation (INKF)
||Collagen Diseases Research Unit, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Shariati Hospital, Tehran, Iran
- Fellow, College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- Member, American Society of Transplantation (AST)
- Member, Renal Pathology Society (RPS)
- Member, European Society of Pathology (ESP)
- Member, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP)
- Member, American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
- Member, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
- Member, Canadian Medical Association (CMA)
- Member, Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association (NLMA)
- Member, Alberta Medical Association (AMA)
- Member, Newfoundland Association of Pathologists (NAP)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- Podocyte injury and proteinuria
- Mechanisms of rejection in organ transplantation (Kidney, liver, lung, heart, pancreas)
- Yilmaz S, Isik I, Afrouzian M, Monroy M, Sar A, Benediktsson H, McLaughlin K. Evaluating the accuracy of functional biomarkers for detecting histological changes in chronic allograft nephropathy. Transpl Int. 2007 Jul;20(7):608-15.
- Molgat G, Afrouzian M, Trpkov K. Renal medullary carcinoma as an incidental finding in a horseshoe kidney: case report and literature review. Can J Urol. 2005 Oct;12(5):2837-40.
- Attard JA, Raval MJ, Martin GR, Kolb J, Afrouzian M, Buie WD, Sigalet DL. The effects of systemic hypoxia on colon anastomotic healing: an animal model. Dis Colon Rectum. 2005 Jul;48(7):1460-70.
- Jabs WJ, Sedlmeyer A, Ramassar V, Hidalgo LG, Urmson J, Afrouzian M, Zhu LF, Halloran PF. Heterogeneity in the evolution and mechanisms of the lesions of kidney allograft rejection in mice. Am J Transplant. 2003 Dec;3(12):1501-9.
- Sims TN, Afrouzian M, Urmson J, Zhu LF, Halloran PF. The role of the class II transactivator (CIITA) in MHC class I and II regulation and graft rejection in kidney. Am J Transplant. 2001 Sep;1(3):211-21.
- Afrouzian M, Ramassar V, Urmson J, Zhu LF, Halloran PF. Transcription factor IRF-1 in kidney transplants mediates resistance to graft necrosis during rejection. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2002 May;13(5):1199-209.
- Halloran PF, Miller LW, Urmson J, Ramassar V, Zhu LF, Kneteman NM, Solez K, Afrouzian M. IFN-gamma alters the pathology of graft rejection: protection from early necrosis. J Immunol. 2001 Jun 15;166(12):7072-81.
- Halloran PF, Afrouzian M, Ramassar V, Urmson J, Zhu LF, Helms LM, Solez K, Kneteman NM. Interferon-gamma acts directly on rejecting renal allografts to prevent graft necrosis. Am J Pathol. 2001 Jan;158(1):215-26.
- Solez K, Afrouzian M, Pakasa N, Takeda K, Trpkov K. Renal transplant biopsy: what does it tell? Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 1997 Nov;6(6):538-43.