Nadezhda E. Yun, M.D.
||Field of Study
||Department of Biophysics, Siberian State Medical University, Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Tomsk, Russia
||University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
||BSL-3/ABSL-3 training at UTMB
||BSL-4/ABSL-4 training at UTMB
||BSL-4 training at GNL
- The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH)
My research is focused on the mechanisms underlying disease development associated with infection of highly pathogenic RNA viruses, such as Lassa virus (LASV). LASV, the causative agent of Lassa hemorrhagic fever (LF), is an Old World arenavirus endemic in West Africa. LASV infect 100,000 - 300,000 people annually with 5,000 - 10,000 deaths. There is no vaccine currently available. Using reverse genetics approach we seek to elucidate the genetic determinants responsible for the high pathogenicity and mortality of LASV in animal models of human infection. Also, I am interested in vaccine and antiviral drug development against influenza A and B viruses as well as other zoonotic RNA viruses.
- Paessler S, Ni H, Petrakova O, Fayzulin RZ, Yun N, Anishchenko M, Weaver SC, Frolov I. Replication and clearance of Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus from the brain of animals vaccinated with chimeric SIN/VEE viruses. J Virol. 2006 Mar;80(6):2784-96.
- Gorchakov R, Volkova E, Yun N, Petrakova O, Linde NS, Paessler S, Frolova E, Frolov I. Comparative analysis of the alphavirus-based vectors expressing Rift Valley fever virus glycoproteins. Virology 2007 366(1):212-225.
- Ni H, Yun NE, Zacks MA, Weaver SC, Tesh RB, da Rosa AP, Powers AM, Frolov I, Paessler S. Recombinant alphaviruses are safe and useful serological diagnostic tools. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007 Apr;76(4):774-81
- Paessler S, Yun N, Judy BM, Dziuba N, Zacks MA, Grund AH, Frolov I, Campbell GA, Weaver SC, Estes DM. Alpha-beta T cells provide protection against lethal encephalitis in the murine model of VEEV infection. Virology 2007 367(2):307-323.
- Yun NE, Linde NS, Zacks MA, Barr IG, Hurt AC, Smith JN, Dziuba N, Holbrook MR, Zhang L, Kilpatrick JM, Arnold S, and Paessler S. Injectable peramivir mitigates disease and promotes survival in ferrets and mice infected with highly virulent H5N1 influenza virus isolate A/Vietnam/1203/04. Virology. 2008 374(1):198-209. PMCID: PMC2680697.
- Kendirgi F, Yun NE, Linde N, Zacks MA, Smith Jea, Smith Jen, McMicken H, Chen Y, Paessler S. Novel linear DNA vaccines induce protective immune responses against lethal infection influenza virus type A/H5N1. Hum Vaccin. 2008 Nov-Dec;4(6):410-419. PMCID: PMC2597034.
- Paessler S, Rijnbrand R, Stein DA, Ni H, Yun NE, Dziuba N, Borisevich V, Seregin A, Ma Y, Blouch R, Iversen PL, Zacks MA. Inhibition of alphavirus infection in cell culture and in mice with antisense morpholino oligomers. Virology. 2008 Jul 5;376(2):357-370. PMCID: PMC2447162.
- Yun NE, Linde NS, Dziuba N, Zacks MA, Smith JN, Smith JK, Aronson JF,Chumakova OV, Lander HM, Peters CJ, Paessler S. Pathogenesis of XJ and Romero strains of Junin virus in two strains of guinea pigs. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008 Aug;79(2):275-82. PMCID: PMC2700623.
- Yun NE, Peng BH, Bertke AS, Borisevich V, Smith JK, Smith JN, Poussard AL, Salazar M, Judy BM, Zacks MA, Estes DM, Paessler S. CD4(+) T cells provide protection against acute lethal encephalitis caused by Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus. Vaccine. 2009 27(30):4064-4073. PMCID: PMC2741389.
- Song L, Zhang Y, Yun NE, Poussard AL, Smith JN, Smith JK, Borisevich V, Linde JJ, Zacks MA, Li H, Kavita U, Reiserova L, Liu X, Dumuren K, Balasubramanian B, Weaver B, Parent J, Umlauf S, Liu G, Huleatt J, Tussey L, Paessler S. Superior efficacy of a recombinant flagellin:H5N1 HA globular head vaccine is determined by the placement of the globular head within flagellin. Vaccine. 2009 27(42):5875-5884. PMCID: PMC19654064.
- Seregin AV, Yun NE, Poussard AL, Peng BH, Smith JK, Smith JN, Salazar M, Paessler S. TC83 replicon vectored vaccine provides protection against Junin virus in guinea pigs. Vaccine. 2010;28(30):4713-4718. PMCID: PMC20452431.
- Kolokoltsova OA, Yun NE, Poussard AL, Smith JK, Smith JN, Salazar M, Walker A, Tseng CT, Aronson JF, Paessler S. Mice lacking interferon a/b and g receptors are susceptible to Junin virus infection. J Virol. 2010 Oct 6. PMCID: 20926559.
- Urata S, Yun N, Pasquato A, Paessler S, Kunz S, de la Torre JC. Antiviral activity of a small molecule inhibitor or arenavirus glycoprotein processing by the cellular site 1 protease. J. Virol. 2010 Nov 10. PMCID: 21068251.
- Emonet SF, Seregin AV, Yun NE, Poussard AL, Walker AG, de la Torre JC, Paessler S. Rescue From Cloned cDNAs And In Vivo Characterization of Recombinant Pathogenic Romero And Life-Attenuated Candid #1 Strains Of Junin Virus, The Causative Agent Of Argentine Hemorrhagic Fever Disease. J. Virol. 2010 Dec 1. PMCID: 21123388