Bhupendra Singh Kaphalia, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Pathology;
Director, Analytical Chemistry Core
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Boulevard
Galveston, TX 77555-0438
Office: (409) 772-4995
Fax: (409) 747-1763
||Analytical Chemistry Core, Sealy Center for Environmental Health & Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
||Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
||Field of Study
||Agra University, Agra, India
||Zoology, Botany, Chemistry
||Kumaun University, Nainital, India
||Kumaun University, Nainital, India
Editorial board member:
- Alcohol (Decision Editor)
- Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health B.
- Journal of Experimental Zoology, India
- The Open Drug Metabolism Journal
- Toxicology Letters 2002–2005
Reviewer of Peer-Reviewed Journal:
- Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology
- Cell Biology and Toxicology
- Clinica Chimica Acta
- Clinical Chemistry and Enzymology
- Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology
- Drug Metabolism & Disposition
- Eastern Research Group, Inc., under contract to USEPA
- International Journal of Medical Sciences
- Journal of Experimental Zoology
- Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health
- Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry
- Psychiatry Research
- Toxicology Letters
- Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology
- Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods
NIH Study Section Member
Invited Speaker and Reviewer:
- Symposia speaker
- Reviewer for ATSDR/EPA Toxicological Profiles/Monographs
- Chaired and/or co-chaired several scientific sessions
- Life Member of the Academy of Environmental Biology, India
- Life Member of the Association of Scientists of Indian Origin in America
- Member of Society of Toxicology
- Member of American Chemical Society
- Member of International Society for the Study of Xenobiotics (ISSX)
- Member of International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcohol
- Member of Metabolomic Society
- Associate member of UTMB’s Experimental Pathology Graduate program
- Member of UTMB’s Biotransformation Core, NIEHS Center
- Member of UTMB’s Center for Addiction Research
Objectives: To understand the mechanisms of target organ toxicity of alcohol via lipid conjugation, hypomethylation and biomolecular modifications, and elucidation of the mechanisms involved in alcohol-induced target organ diseases.
Approach: In general, I am working on formation, distribution, metabolism, disposition and toxicity evaluation of lipid conjugates of xenobiotic alcohols and develop analytical methods (HPLC, GC & TLC) involved in in vitro and in vivo metabolism of compounds of biological and environmental interest. I use state of art nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and mass spectrometry for characterization of the metabolites. Currently, I am working Mechanism-based toxicity studies of ethanol and its metabolites to understand the mechanism(s) of alcoholic pancreatitis.
- Kaphalia BS and Ansari, GAS. Covalent modification of hepatic microsomal lipids of rats by carbon tetrachloride. Mol Toxicol 2: 199-213; 1989.
- Kaphalia BS. Fatty acid conjugates of chlorinated phenols: Synthesis, structural elucidation, and high performance liquid chromatographic analysis. J Chromatogr 537: 85-92; 1991.
- Zeng FY, Kaphalia BS, Ansari GAS, and Weigel PH. Fatty acylation of the rat asialoglycoprotein receptor: The three subunits from active receptors contain covalently bound palmitate and stearate. J Biol Chem 270: 21382-21387; 1995.
- Kapahlia BS, Carr JB, and Ansari GAS. Increased endobiotic fatty acid methyl esters following exposure to methanol. Fundam Appl Toxicol 28: 264-273, 1995.
- Kaphalia BS, Fritz RR and Ansari GAS. Purification and characterization of rat liver microsomal fatty acid ethyl and 2-chloroethyl ester synthase and their relationship with carboxylesterase (pl 6.1). Chem Res Toxicol 10:211-218, 1997.
- Hadjipavlou AG, Simmons JW, Young JP, Ansari GAS, Kaphalia BS, Simmons DJ, Nicodemus CL, Lane R, and Esch O. Torsional injury resulting in disc degeneration: an in vivo rabbit model. J Spinal Disorder 11: 312-317, 1998.
- Kaphalia BS, Green SG, and Ansari GAS. Fatty acid ethyl and methyl ester synthases, and fatty acid anilide synthase in HepG2 and AR42J cells: interrelationships and inhibition by tri-o-tolyl phosphate. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 159: 134-141, 1999.
- Kaphalia BS, and Ansari GAS. Purification and characterization of rat hepatic microsomal low molecular weight ethyl ester synthase and their relationship to carboxylesterases. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 15: 165-171, 2001.
- Kaphalia BS, and Ansari GAS. Fatty acid ethyl esters and ethanol-induced pancreatitis. Cell. Mol. Biol. 47: OL173-OL179, 2001.
- Kaphalia BS, and Ansari GAS. Purification and characterization of rat pancreatic fatty acid ethyl ester synthase and its structural and functional relationship to pancreatic cholesterol esterase. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 17; 338-245, 2003.
- Kaphalia BS, Ping Cai, M. Firoze, Khan, Okorodudu, A.O. and Ansari GAS. Fatty acid ethyl esters in alcoholics; markers of alcohol abuse and alcoholism. Alcohol 34, 151-158, 2004.
- Kaphalia BS, Mericle KA, and Ansari GAS. Mechanism of Differential Inhibition of Hepatic and Pancreatic Fatty Acid Ethyl Ester Synthase by Inhibitors of Serine-Esterases: In Vitro and Cell Culture Studies. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 200, 7-15, 2004.
- Wu H, Cai P, Clemens DL, Jerrells TR, Ansari, GAS, Kaphalia BS. Metabolic basis of ethanol-induced cytotoxicity in stable and recombinant HepG2 cells: Role of nonoxidative metabolism. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 216, 238-247, 2006.
- Ping Cai, Konig R, Khan MF, Qiu S, Kaphalia, BS, and Ansari, GAS. Autoimmune response in MRL +/+ mice following treatment with dichloroacetyl chloride or dichloroacetic anhydride. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 216, 248-255, 2006.
- Bhopale K, Wu H, Boor PJ, Popav, VL, Ansari GAS, and Kaphalia BS. Metabolic basis of ethanol-induced hepatic and pancreatic toxicity in hepatic alcohol dehydrogenase-deficient deer mice. Alcohol 39, 179-188, 2006.
- Kaphalia L, Kaphalia BS, Kanz MF and Moslen MT. Efficient high pressure liquid chromatograph/UVmethod for detection of Diclofenac and 4¢-OH-diclofenac in serum. J Chromatogr. B 830, 231-237, 2006.
- Cai P., Boor PJ, Khan MF, Kaphalia, BS, Ansari GAS and Konig R. Immuno- and hepato-toxicity of dichloroacetic acid in MRL+/+ and B6C3F1 mice. J Immunotoxicology 4, 107-115, 2007.
- Wu H, Bhopale K, Ansari GAS, and Kaphalia BS. Ethanol-induced cytotoxicity in rat pancreatic acinar AR42J cells: Role of fatty acid ethyl esters. Alcohol Alcoholism 43, 1-8, 2008.
- Ping Cai, Boor PJ, Khan MF, Kaphalia, BS, Konig R and Ansari GAS. Chronic exposure to trichloroethene causes early onset of SLE-like disease in female MRL +/+ mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 228:68-75, 2008.
- Kaphalia, BS. Pancreatic Toxicology. In Encyclopedia of Environmental Health. (In Press).